San Clemente

Big Jim

Aug 6, 2015
Anyone been to san Clemente lately? heading there tomorrow for some calico but I'm hearing there may be some yellowtail still in the area?

caught a few huge calico. all on big hammer stuck to a phenix 1oz jig.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
throwing 6" big hammers tight to the rocks, funny thing is there was no Kelp what so ever other than a few deep stringers. not a good sign for local kelp patties for the up and coming season.

Nope no yellers, found some nice kelps, on one home, meter was quiet. water temp was 63. should have seen some homegars. nada.

Invisible man said:
ilovesprig said:
Nice bull Jim.......I love big calicos....... ;)
If I remember correctly, Sprig has the state record Cali on the wall. "Big Ol Checker Board"
Darryl,

Back when I caught this calico on the LB Breakwater (1972), there were no IGFA records kept of them.....She weighed 14-1 on a certified meat scale that night....The largest Fish & Game had recorded was a 13-9 from the barn kelp.

The current certified record is 14-7 from outside of Newport.

Attachments

• 14-1 lbs calico....The Wall...6-1972[1].jpg
    14-1 lbs calico....The Wall...6-1972[1].jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 21

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu