San Felipe Bow hunting only?

Christ34

Apr 25, 2015
San diego
Hello everyone,
I read in one of the previous thread that San Felipe is a bow hunting only, can anyone confirm that?
I'm getting ready for the next season and I was hoping to hunt that area.
Thank you guys

The San Felipe WA is not a bow only area........Only the southwest side and Granite Mt. Unit........Or to make it simpler........Left side headed south on S2 is rifle (or bow) and right side is bow only (A-22 or AO)....... ;)

ilovesprig said:
The San Felipe WA is not a bow only area........Only the southwest side and Granite Mt. Unit........Or to make it simpler........Left side headed south on S2 is rifle (or bow) and right side is bow only (A-22 or AO)....... ;)

I was told in writing by DFW that it may be hunted with rifle if one has a antler less or doe only tag. some one wants to confirm that. or show evidence to counter that fact. also shotgun may be used for quail on the both sides.

Ghost

Ghost said:
ilovesprig said:

I was told in writing by DFW that it may be hunted with rifle if one has a antler less or doe only tag. some one wants to confirm that. or show evidence to counter that fact. also shotgun may be used for quail on the both sides.

Ghost

Lee,

No rifles on the southwest side (right side) of S-2......Regardless of what tag you have.....And yes, you can use a shotgun for upland game, but not for deer on that side......So, I guess technically, it's not bow only in that since (we were talking about deer tho).

Reply from DFG.......kind of vague, but pretty much it.

If you need further info, best to directly contact them through the San Diego office:

"no rifles or pistols west of S-2. Upland Game hunting only allowed on west portion, deer hunting east of S-2 on DFG SFWA and BLM

ilovesprig said:
Ghost said:
ilovesprig said:

Ghost

Lee,

No rifles on the southwest side (right side) of S-2......Regardless of what tag you have.....And yes, you can use a shotgun for upland game, but not for deer on that side......So, I guess technically, it's not bow only in that since (we were talking about deer tho).

Reply from DFG.......kind of vague, but pretty much it.

If you need further info, best to directly contact them through the San Diego office:

"no rifles or pistols west of S-2. Upland Game hunting only allowed on west portion, deer hunting east of S-2 on DFG SFWA and BLM

see the attached link map of san felipe wildlife area. if you the map only one area is prohibited for rifles and pistols
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=87881&inline

Ghost

Lee,

I know that map says that it's not illegal to have a rifle on the west side.......And this map would be great to take to court after receiving a ticket... ;).....But, unless this is a recent change, it is bow only (A-22 & AO) and always has been. You can't even a use a shotgun with slugs on that side (D-16 tag).....I get notices about the concerns of this wildlife area. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to be a commissioner was to try and be on top of opening more parts of SFWA.

This gun closure is one of the things many of us fought. When Randy Botta did the original plan for the area. To appease the anti's and the Volcan Mt Society. This was designated a "fawning area"......Hunting would be allowed, but bow only for deer......Shotguns for dove & quail would be OK (there were no turkeys yet).

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjADOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Flegallabrador.com%2Fcalifornia-hunting%2Fsan-felipe-valley-wildlife-area%2F&ei=S1lIVbPEIoPGsAXWrICIAw&usg=AFQjCNET3FF0-y9mnmzybYwslou1jY5mRA&sig2=vLJ8dYWbP78FMUxvwWBimA

Thanks you all for the prompt responses and good tips.
Sincerely appreciate.
I'm also looking to go to NW of lake Elsinore this weekend.
Will report if I see anything

Christ34 said:
Sincerely appreciate.
Would be nice if there was something that close to home. Didn't think there was. Maybe the hills off Ortega.

Christ34 said:
Sincerely appreciate.

If you're talking about the Cleveland Nat Forest NW of Elsinore, good luck to you. Hope you find something cool up there. Extremely thick terrain and nearly no hiking trails off the main divide. If you're talking about Riverside County, NW of Elsinore, there isn't much open land that isn't CNF or a federally licensed mine (which you can't gain access to because of liability w/ federally licensed land... trust me I've tried). Keep us updated on what you find.

Lots of fox in that area a few coyotes, bobcat, deer, dove and quail from what I've seen and from what a friend of mine who lives around there has seen and taken over the passed couple of years.

infidel said:
There is 3 mtn lions that are feasting in San Felipe. Lots of nice bucks died in the the grips of these protected creatures this last winter on the mtn and off the mtn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 3?.................... :(

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu