San Marcos History

HunterMcBuckKiller

Oct 20, 2020
Polk County, OR
Hey 16ers!!
Anyone from the San Marcos area?
My Great Great Grandfather, Major Gustavus French Merriam, was one of the first settlers in the area after the civil war and started the first school house in the area for kids of his ranch workers.
I could go on and on about his history and the family's impact to the local area. If you are interested in some of the history here is a brief video of the history with out taking up too much of your time.

I have hundreds of letters to and from him to his brother Clinton who was a sitting house rep for NY.
Is there any type of historical society in San Marcos, I am not going to be doing much with these letters and can only decipher about 30-40% of most of the handwriting and am hoping to donate them to some were that can give them the respect they deserve.

The photos below are a letter from his brother back to their mother back in 1882. Interesting story of a first cousin of his that is sure to be hung for killing a China-Men and stealing his $500 in Anaheim. Also a little about life on a farm in those days.

Any way, If any one has any contacts out that way i would be very grateful if you could pass some info my way... Who knows one of my cousins might just be reading this! I know there are still Merriams in the area.

Thanks again,
Jon

gfm.jpg
gfm1.jpg
gfm2.jpg

Thanks for sharing....I represent county supervisor Jim Desmond...Part of his district is San Marcos (I live on county land between San Marcos and Escondido)...I am sure he would love to have the letters and any other old articles or history of SM.... :blush:

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Message me your email and we can talk about it. I would really love it to go to some sort of historical society or museum to preserve the history.
I even have the majors journal from the us navel academy in 1855… pretty awesome stuff.
I have about half a cedar trunk full of various letters.
IMG_2112.jpeg

I inherited a bunch of family relics and history when my grandmother passed years ago. I have old letters and photos just like that. It is always cool to find interesting things like that about your family and have physical documentation of it.

That's cool I love old local history. My wife's grandfather was Mario Talone and owned Talone meats in Escondido till they sold it in the early 80's he also owned quite a bit of land in the Rancho Del Oro area of Oceanside. I love looking through the black and white photos of the area from back in the day. I still have all his ranch guns sitting in a gun case my great grandfather hand made.

That's cool I love old local history. My wife's grandfather was Mario Talone and owned Talone meats in Escondido till they sold it in the early 80's he also owned quite a bit of land in the Rancho Del Oro area of Oceanside. I love looking through the black and white photos of the area from back in the day. I still have all his ranch guns sitting in a gun case my great grandfather hand made.
That’s awesome!!

I still have 2x great grandpas shot gun and well had his daughters 20ga. (Great grandma)
Those aren’t going to a historical society…
I’ve been wanting to make a mount for them of some sort to put over the fireplace.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu