Scavenger hunt

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Ghost and I hunted/scouted in the east San Diego County mountains this morning. We ended up bushwhacking through the canyon, through roses and poison oak down in the bottom, and through manzanita and buckbrush to climb the 500 feet out of the canyon. We actually got halfway up at one point and had to turn around because the stuff was so thick! Worked our way farther down the canyon and found a spot where we could actually climb through it.
What a day! We picked up an old forky skull next to two pair of thigh and leg bones belonging to the deceased. A while later coming over a rise, we picked up the smell of a rotting carcass; we followed our noses to a not-quite-fresh kill. Maybe 24 hours old. Interesting that we found no recent (living) deer sign in that canyon. I don't think it's a healthy place for deer. Lol. Come to think of it, not that healthy for a couple of old guys either, because we were beat when we got back to the cars!
The recent kill was probably by a cat, given the broken neck with severed trachea and no marks on the haunches. The deer was well fed and had a belly full of grass or browse. I didn't see any acorns but I couldn't tell which of the stomachs was first, so it was hard to know exactly what she had been eating. I think she just wandered into the kill zone looking for water. We did not see tracks but the ground was nearly a foot deep in places with oak leaves and mast, not including all the other forest detritus. No way to track anything.
Good day in the field. Enjoyed it a lot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442201691.992453.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442201691.992453.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 29
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442201726.204068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442201726.204068.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442201753.953197.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442201753.953197.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
At least you found something to remember that canyon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah it was a load of fun. No other humans had been in there in a very long time. We did find some very old trash, but otherwise it was pristine and beautiful. Totally wild.

akrem44 said:

Yup I would pin that one as "Dead deer toad canyon" you will all ways know exactly what it is.

It was a great test for gear, some of which I had and some I wished I'd brought. I'm starting another thread on gear for backcountry bushwhacking to see what people like to use. Johnny does a ton of this rough stuff and I'll be interested in his and others' opinions.

Truduct said:
akrem44 said:

Yup I would pin that one as "Dead deer toad canyon" you will all ways know exactly what it is.

actually now that we know what we are up against. I would go back in the winter, and have more protective gear like snake chaps.
It was a very secluded area. took a beating. but the scenery was awesome.

took a beating, I was ill prepared, I will start an other thread.

Ghost

may be a dumb question, that area being so think wouldnt that make it impossible to sneak in undetected in the dark of night?

steveo007 said:
may be a dumb question, that area being so think wouldnt that make it impossible to sneak in undetected in the dark of night?
correct. We were scouting an area we could see from a ways off, and which looked like good habitat. You'd have to go in the night before and camp close to your spot if you wanted to hunt it. No way to sneak in or out. As it turns out, with such difficult access in and out, and with so little fresh sign, it's not a very attractive spot to hunt. But we weren't sure before we tried it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu