Scope for my 30-06

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

hey guys, I want to get a new scope for my deer rifle and well about $300 bucks is my limit, we all have our own limits that is about mine :). what do you guys think of this scope..
http://www.basspro.com/Vortex-Crossfire-II-Rifle-Scope-6-18x44mm-AO-V-Brite-MOA/product/12050409013629/
or suggest away I'll take any info available.. thanks.
currently I have a Nikon 3x9 on it

Richard,

What's wrong with the Nikon?.....I have Nikon on my .243......I like it...... ???

I like Vortex (lifetime guarantee) & Leopold ll (on my 30-06).....Plenty of models in that price range........2 cents.

I like Zeiss....buy once cry once......Nikon to vortex is not much of an upgrade in my book

http://www.cameralandny.com/
Good prices on the demos with full warranty.....

My buddy swears by his vortex. and I believe he was telling me to look into one for my next rifle. I don't remember the model number but I am 99% sure it was a version two of an already existing model

sounds like he's going for an upgraded size, not necessarily an upgrade in quality (still an upgrade in my book). Love my Nikon 3-9x40 but if I had the chance to do it over, I'd have spent an extra $100 for the larger size and the name. Confidence gets instilled from all sorts of influences, especially a name/symbol. If you ONLY want to spend $300 or below, I think you'd be stoked on that glass in that size. I'd do some serious online work (unless you have BPS gift cards / cc) to ensure you can't get a $4-500 rig for $300. But if the setup and size is what you like, go for it man! I have some Vortex binos and love them. You're spending $300 on glass so it's going to be good regardless if you buy a name brand. I do like that bullet drop compensator on the Nikon App though.

do not do it!!!!

6x is just to much magnification on the low end. I have made this mistake and while i love my 6x24 PST its just not as useful as a 3x9. There is a reason 3x9 is the most popular magnification range. 9x is enough to shoot very accurately out to 400+ yards and 3x will let a lot of light and quick target pickup at 150yards and closer.

the one time it rocks to have the extra mag is when you are benched up on a critter you ranged and have the wind figured at 600+ yards. Its great to have 18x or 24x but its just not that often this comes up. I went out of my way to find coyotes at long range in open country and to date i have taken just one shot over 500 yards.

Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 It is an American made scope produced by Leupold and carries a Leupold warranty. Right around 200 bucks will get one with or without BDC reticle.

thanks guys.. I'm still tripping out from last years last day of deer at around gray light I ranged 2 bucks around 385-425yards and didn't take shot because of few factors.. but I blamed my scope ;)

1. my range finder kept fogging up so I was getting different readings
2. when I looked through my rifle scope I couldn't get a good mark on bigger buck, both where bunched up grazing/keeping an eye towards where I was hunkered down so I couldn't get closer for a better shot. my scope doesn't have the BDC dots.
3. I remembered seeing hunters (orange caps) on the other side of bucks so safety was an issue.

once bucks moved away I was in pursuit but never saw them again. no shots heard from the other hunters near by for rest of day so that means they survived the season.

Is it archery season yet...

but thanks for the tips guys, I will keep you posted on what I purchase at some point now till before rifle season starts.

Sometimes if you hump forward and walk slow and don't make eye contact that can get you closer......I've also used a distress call to bring does in and if during the rut bucks will follow. But both of these are used in last resort.....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu