Scope for my .308

8SteelTown

I just purchased a new Ruger American in .308 ($299 online!). Supposed to get to my FFL on Saturday. With paperwork and 10 day "cooling off", I should be up and desimating the yote population by mid-July. I still need to get some optics setup on the rig. I've been doing a ton of research and am looking to spend about $150 on Amazon (probably a $200-250 msrp). I've seen pretty good reviews on the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD as well as the Leupold VX-2 (Nikon Prostaff as well). I want to get something more powerful than 3-9x40. I was thinking 4.5-16x44 or even 6-24x50. Any thoughts on whether I need to replace the stock rail, ring choices, and optics preferred would be appreciated. I've read a bunch of reviews negating the 50mm lens, saying it's not as great as would be expected. Thanks for your opinions.

It all depends on what you hope to do with the rifle. Do you expect to take any shots beyond 300 yards? Be as realistic as you can when you answer that for yourself. My guess is that the Leupold VX 1 or VX 2, in 3-9x40 will be more than enough scope for your .308.

El Matavenados, I would expect my range to be less than 300 yards 90% of the time... which is why I was weary looking into a 6-20x50. Didn't know if starting out at 6x mag would be too much at 150-200 yards. There will be opportunities with further distances so I definately want to be able to acheive up to 500 yard shots. This is going to take some practice I'm sure. I'd rather get a one-stop-shop scope so I don't have to buy a higer power scope later. Thoughts?

DO NOT get the 6-20x power scope.

On my 6mm coyote death ray gun i got a vortex 6-24x for it. I will not say it was a bad choice as it will be going on my new bench rest 1k gun but it sucks for a hunting rifle. At 6x you can not pick up anything moving under 150 yards. You will want to yell and rip the scope off when you cant find the animal in the small field of view. Also in your price range you will not be getting great optics and high magnification will just show the flaws in the cheaper glass that much more.

Go with something 3 power or less on the low side. 9 power on a coyote will take you out past 600 yards and how often will that happen? You will hunt with the scope in the 3x or less setting 90% of the time

Thanks for your points Aeon. That's the kind of opinions I like to see! I get your points on higher magnification at a lower price equates to lower quality.

Any opinions on the choices between the Nikon Prostaff, Leupold VX-2, and the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD? Everyone seems to favor the Leupold. I like the Bushnell personally.

Thanks again for your input.

As aeon said for hunting you want something with a low end magnification (2or3) so you see at low light conditions. The leupold vx-2 is a very versatile scope in that it allows you to get the CDS custom dial system. That allows you to get new turrets that are specifically crafted for your hunting loads, so you can dial the scope into the range of the game you are pursuing. And Leupold has a phenomenal warranty!

Also for that price range look into the Redfield Revolution 3x9-40, produced by Leupold and you get the lifetime warranty.

Thanks Ajsnack. I'll check out the redfields as well. I appreciate your thoughts on this fellas.

I have a redfeild revenge 6x18x44 on my ruger American 30-06.

It has the varmit reticle whitch has a drop system built in to it out to 600 yrd for various cal.

It also has a built in range finder. It's hard to explain so just check it out it's super clear at 18x zoom

I'm happy wwith it

All the above and more are in stock at Fine Firearms. I recommend the Leupold's. Best bang for the buck and by far the best warranty in the Firearm Industry without question.

Leupold VX-1 or 2 3x9 it'ill do everything you need to do and last a life time, try shooting at extreme distances with that set up and you will see that practice is the most important factor in the equation

Aeon said:
DO NOT get the 6-20x power scope.

On my 6mm coyote death ray gun i got a vortex 6-24x for it. I will not say it was a bad choice as it will be going on my new bench rest 1k gun but it sucks for a hunting rifle. At 6x you can not pick up anything moving under 150 yards. You will want to yell and rip the scope off when you cant find the animal in the small field of view. Also in your price range you will not be getting great optics and high magnification will just show the flaws in the cheaper glass that much more.

Go with something 3 power or less on the low side. 9 power on a coyote will take you out past 600 yards and how often will that happen? You will hunt with the scope in the 3x or less setting 90% of the time

Agreed. I've got a cheapo Simmons 3-9x40 on my Savage and I've never taken it beyond 6x when hunting. Target shooting out past 500 yards, yes I'll crank it to 9x, but under 6x would be best for almost anything you and Nick will shoot around your house. Field of view is huge when hunting coyotes, or anything for that matter, so the more you can see through your scope is an advantage unless you're getting ready to shoot a bedded animal. Then crank it up.

And although I've yet to handle or shoot behind a Redfield, I think they are quality scopes. I did a lot of poking around on the net a while back searching for info on them and there were few negative remarks. Is a Leupold better? By far. But what you might sacrifice for all-star glass you might gain in features and options. I'm not familiar with the Leupold you mentioned, but their legacy speaks for itself. I know their ability to pick up light is bar none so if you're planning on mainly hunting coyotes, and sometimes in low light conditions, the Leupold might prove a better option.

Just my .02$

You will buy a Leupold once. It is truly a lifetime purchase. Amortize the cost of a Leupold across a lifetime and it is the most inexpensive scope on the market...period!

I have owned Swarovski, Leica, Schmidt & Bender, Burris and Redfield's. Every rifle I own now has a Leupold on it now. I have never once had a regret or have been let down by my Leupolds'. They are light, strong, rugged, crystal clear, bright, elegant, functionally sound, backed by an unconditional lifetime warranty and built by 650 Americans in Beaverton Oregon, USA!

Leuopolds' field failure rate is 7 scopes in 100,000. Furthermore, 80% of all Leupold scopes sent back for warranty repair don't need repair (user error). They are the leader of quality in the industry by light years over their competitors! In fact Leupold (and Ruger) stand alone in the firearm industry regarding quality and warranty. These are facts...

It is a no brainer dude! Buy a Leupold and move on!

i believe redfeild is owned by Leupold, if not please correct me. I'll tell you what though. if i could go back id go with a Leupold and pay the extra cash because it just makes the value of your set up go up

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate you all taking the time to help me avoid making mistakes and wasting money. Think I'm going to go with the Leupold VX-2. 10 days from Tuesday and hopefully I'll be dropping some yotes. I appreciate it. Jesse.

Just suck it up and spend the money. Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission dude. Remember that. My AR build is proof positive that that idea works. Plus it helps to stop by the flower stand and pick up a $5 bouquet every now and then...

Finally got my scope in. Went with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. Got a KILLER deal on EBay. Hopefully get this picture posted correctly...
null.jpg

Lungpopper said:
Nice your gonna have fun with that.

Thanks Lungpopper! I'm WAY stoked on it. Can't wait to start harvesting some game!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu