Scope mounts and rings recommendations?

WingWhacker

Jul 30, 2014
san dimas
Just picked up a Remington 700 BDL in .270 and I'm lookin to outfit this sucker with a scope right away. I have a scope in mind ( vortex 3x9 40)or possibly a longer range scope in 50mm. as a matter of fact I'd like to hear arguments on a scope as well as rings and mounts. Rifle will primarily be used for dear and or hog hunting.. Some old guy insight :) would be greatly appreciated.

Spend as much as you can on optics (bino's and scopes) equal in price to the cost of the gun is not unreasonable in some circumstances and maybe more in others (We live in the west and need to see far and if you cant find em ....well...) As far as mounts go there are many different systems out there depending on what you are trying to build. I will also add you can never go wrong with Leupold optics and their mounting systems, Perhaps NBK can chime in at this point since he works in the industry and has up to the moment knowledge of whats best.

With the caliber you mention and will be use for hunting, i'll go light and use a 2pcs Talley ring .
Good choice of scope. 40mm objective is plenty for local deer and pig.

WingWhacker said:
Just picked up a Remington 700 BDL in .270 and I'm lookin to outfit this sucker with a scope right away. I have a scope in mind ( vortex 3x9 40)or possibly a longer range scope in 50mm. as a matter of fact I'd like to hear arguments on a scope as well as rings and mounts. Rifle will primarily be used for dear and or hog hunting.. Some old guy insight :) would be greatly appreciated.
Well I'm old, but perhaps not in the way you meant it. Anyway I'll take up the offer of a good argument. ;)
That's a nice rifle. Seems like 3-9x would be good for pigs and deer; maybe 12x max. I have a Leupold vx-6 2-12x42 (30mm tube) on my 30-06, for similar game. Not sure why you mention 50mm in the context of longer range. It would let in more light, but if it's elevation you want, tube diameter is the key, more than objective diameter. I've heard great things about vortex but I haven't spent much time looking through them. It's helpful to look through a bunch of different brands side by side to get a sense of clarity, distortion and brightness.
Hope that helps.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu