Scouting D15

surfgypsy

Sep 10, 2013
Spent 10 hours scouting in D15 yesterday. Went in about 7+ miles to get away from the road hunters. I did find fresh tracks, fresh droppings, and most importantly I found several sources of water. I saw a few doe so I hope there are a few bucks out there to harvest.
I carried a 40 pound back pack and had a good work out. Hoping this will be the valley to get me a nice buck.
Not sure if anyone has experience hunting D15 but if you want to share I would appreciate.

Welcome to the forum. 7 miles deep and you found water. You're on the right track. Did you put up a camera over the water?

Be careful to stay off the private land around there.

Thanks for the welcome to this site. I did not place any cams out due to the distance of the area. It's a minimum 2 hour hike each way.
I do have a cam, and will get another one soon, Next year I will be better prepared and get them out early.
Regardless, I hit this area on opening weekend and I had my 14 year old son go with me to get him outdoors.
We left on Friday, the day before the opener. Hiked in and set up a small tent so forth. We scouted, and found promising signs. That evening we set up the trail cam around a water hole about 300 feet from where we pitched the tent.. Didn't see much activity.
Next morning I came across a good area, following a game trail. The dew on the ground lit the trail up in the early morning dawn. I found numerous fresh piles of deer crap. About mid day my son and I set about on making a blind with branches and shrubs with a shooting lane about 100 yds wide. Nothing cam through. I didn't get my tag filled. Got home forgot to look at the memory card.
I am currently on a project and working nights in Vegas. After working 12 hours I drove home on the 18th and prepared to go for an evening hunt.
I checked the card and had only one pic from the week before. It,s kind of hard to see, but it appears to be a mountain lion right up on my trail cam. This would explain some of the heavy footsteps I heard around the tent while trying to sleep on the eve before the opener. It may also explain why I didn't see a deer, just signs.
I have only been hunting for a few years and have not landed a buck yet. I will keep on trying.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Attachments

• PICT0001 (3).jpg
    PICT0001 (3).jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the best site for hunters in so cal. Looks like you have four legged competition in your area :eek:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu