Scouting Paid off!!!!!

dusty

Nov 9, 2012
Well I finally decided to pull the trigger on one. It was my first one. Stoned him cold in the neck at full cruise!!! Tell you what, what a rush. Hit him with my Ruger scout 308 at 90yds. lights out instantly.
mail

Missed my first and second shot. First shot was 200yds and missed by an inch, to compensate for the 15 kts of breeze coming up the canyon. But he sat right back down after 20 mins or so. So, I stalked him to 10-15yds and thought I lost him and low and behold he popped up to a full sprint (leaping) and missed my second shot. Chambered my third round and timed him, waiting to squeeze off my last shot. Hit him on his last pounce, saw the hit on the back of his neck and he just buckled. never kicked or anything. my best shot ever. So stoked right now.......Hunted this area two times before today and never saw the bigger buck I had seen in the past. Until I was walking out 2.5 miles through some rugged terrain, and their he was bedded down with 4 does...... I should waited but, oh well. After packing out the little one I was pretty stoked I didn't get his big brother. If any buddy is interested I will give out his location since I filled my tag. Thanks for all the great advice I have picked up on here from you hardcore hunters.

having issues again loading my pics. it shows it on my screen , let me try again

Grew up deer hunting with my dad in the sierras and Utah. Not used to the warm and dry conditions for deer, I'm fully addicted now!!!!! The fun part was chasing down a sheriff to validate my tag!!! I bet he was wandering who the hell is this guy....

Nice job Dusty...the Ruger Gunsite Scout getting a little deer action!

CMPeterson said:
Awsome job, just for future info any fire house can validate also, good thing about a fire house someone is always home!
Thanks!
NBK said:
Nice job Dusty...the Ruger Gunsite Scout getting a little deer action!
I really like the Gunsite Scout! I've hit the gong at 800yds with it! I like having the avail extra clips when hunting on the cartel highway!!!!

Captaintb said:
Very cool!!! If I was you I'd keep the bigger one a secret, and go after him next year!
going to D13 next year, access to private property through a friend. just wanted to try san diego this year. next time want to try archery

Nice buck, the Scout rifle is perfect for quick shot situations very well done!!

First pic was 200 plus yards and the second was camera on the back pack

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    750.5 KB · Views: 23

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu