Scouting question

Catalyst

May 4, 2014
Winchester, CA
Wasn't sure whether to put this question here or in big game but here it goes - so I just got my license and I'm excited to get out and hunt this year. I'm interested in rabbits, pig, and deer. Ideally, I'd have a mentor but no such luck since no one I know hunts. I've been reading up on hunting deer and it seems like the name of the game is scout, scout, scout. I think I'm going to try and get tags for D19 and maybe D16. I have a young family so I may focus on one area since I won't have a ton of time to scout both zones. When do people start scouting? How often? How useful are trail cams? I'm an avid hiker so I don't mind going off the road. It seems like around Lake Hemet would be a good area since there is water there so long as I avoid the refuge and private land. I'm going to pull some maps but are there any other major water sources around? I'm excited to get out and put in some work, but some tips on how to do it effectively would be helpful before I head out so I don't waste my time. Also, are there any good books/sources on deer hunting which would be helpful? Thanks!

ill help with a couple questions.

when do we start.
many of us never stop scouting, its year round! If you hike you are scouting. You will find that you do not go places you can not hunt anymore.

How often?

every day is not to crazy of a answer. Do you drive past a area you can hunt? Coyote hunting is an excuse to hunt year round and scout at the same time

How useful are trail cams?
very useful but they can only tell you part of the story. I use them a lot early in the year to find areas with deer that i want to hunt. They can tell you when and what size deer use a trail. They are just plane fun and once again a good excuse to go out and scout. once you set a cam you will be itching to go check it every 15min to see what is on it.

Lake Hemet

i do not know that area but do not limit your self to areas with lakes or big bodies of water. Deer are amazing in being able to survive in dry places with just tiny amount of water.

Cat,

Welcome to SCH

Don't know that much about D-19, but there is a lot of public land in D-16.....Like has been mentioned in many threads. Invest in Onx Maps.

Trail cams aren't only valuable, but are just plain cool.....Will certainly help you in patterning game in the areas you choose. Find game trail in areas off the beaten path. There are dirtbags that will steal them.

Lots of water large sources (lakes/ponds). I prefer to look for springs because to be honest, most your major sources will be private.

Books specific to D-19 or D-16? Don't know of any. But there are numerous threads on this site and others that will give you some ideas on where to start (Cleveland NF's, San Berdo NF, BLM, wildlife area's, etc.)

Ask lots of questions and hopefully, folks on this site will give you some more tips.....Good luck

ps......It IS all about scouting and it can be a year round objective..... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Cat,

Welcome to SCH

Don't know that much about D-19, but there is a lot of public land in D-16.....Like has been mentioned in many threads. Invest in Onx Maps.

Trail cams aren't only valuable, but are just plain cool.....Will certainly help you in patterning game in the areas you choose. Find game trail in areas off the beaten path. There are dirtbags that will steal them.

Lots of water large sources (lakes/ponds). I prefer to look for springs because to be honest, most your major sources will be private.

Books specific to D-19 or D-16? Don't know of any. But there are numerous threads on this site and others that will give you some ideas on where to start (Cleveland NF's, San Berdo NF, BLM, wildlife area's, etc.)

Ask lots of questions and hopefully, folks on this site will give you some more tips.....Good luck

Thanks for all the suggestions! For books, I was referencing more books on deer hunting - learning where to look for them based off where they like to eat, sleep, etc. I'm brand new to hunting so I don't know much about where to go out scouting yet other than near water. I'd like to learn a bit about that before I start scouting so I'm not walking aimless.

I have found some of my best spots walking around random places and finding a deer track or a turd. When you go out do not go out looking for critters. Just look for their sign that they leave for you.

Catalyst said:
ilovesprig said:
Cat,

Welcome to SCH

Thanks for all the suggestions! For books, I was referencing more books on deer hunting - learning where to look for them based off where they like to eat, sleep, etc. I'm brand new to hunting so I don't know much about where to go out scouting yet other than near water. I'd like to learn a bit about that before I start scouting so I'm not walking aimless.

go to the hook up partner in this forum. keep trying until you can hook up with someone more advance. this will be my best advice. being a rookie , safety is a big major concern. and hooking up with an more experience hunter will give you more experience. just saying

Ghost

Yep.....Looking for sign is the key.....Remember most these animals can be and are usually very nocturnal (why we hunt early morning, late evening). Especially on public land during the season (weather & the rut can be the exception).

A few pix to get you started.......Droppings, deer bed, buck & doe tracks, deer trail, and typical habitat in D-16 (do you see the deer?)

Attachments

• pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 009.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 009.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • deer 2009 005.jpg
    deer 2009 005.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 42
  • deer 2009 009.jpg
    deer 2009 009.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 41
  • deer 2009 013.jpg
    deer 2009 013.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 49
  • deer 2009 047.jpg
    deer 2009 047.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 48
Catalyst, this is a good thread. You're right that would have been just as well placed in the Big Game forum. Check this thread below. There are some other good recommendations, including some book ideas.
how are you guys seeing so many deer...!!!!
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4793

Bonejour said:
Catalyst, this is a good thread. You're right that would have been just as well placed in the Big Game forum. Check this thread below. There are some other good recommendations, including some book ideas.
how are you guys seeing so many deer...!!!!
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4793

Thanks! I had seen that thread searching a while back but couldn't find it again. So it sounds like I really want to be looking for signs of deer. How many areas with deer signs do all of you try to find? Do you try and nail down 3-5 good areas prior to the season opening? More? From what I can tell, there are a ton of hunters in socal so it seems like it would be a good idea to have a few good spots where there are signs of deer away from the road, so there is a better chance of seeing them when the season is open. I'll definitely try and find a partner/mentor. I'm an experienced cross country backpacker, so I'm used to traveling in wilderness areas, but its always safer to travel with a partner and I could use the help from someone experienced.

Cat,

I'd say 3-5 spots that you know well is about right. Break mountains, valleys, and such down into small areas. Love Valley is a good example. Damn big area, but I have a friend that gets a deer there just about every year. He watches particular trails during certain times and days of the week.....Also, hunting mon-fri makes a huge difference.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu