Shipping ammo to California

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
In a big win for gun owners in California and the Second Amendment, U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez handed down a decision on Tuesday, 1/30/2024, that blocked the California law requiring background checks for all ammunition purchases.

In his ruling yesterday, released today, U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez said "the California ammunition background check law, which took effect in July 2019, has "no historical pedigree" and violates the Second Amendment's right for citizens to keep and bear arms".

Rogers has been contacted and they said shipping shotshells is good to go...Rifle ammo not yet.......... :clap:

Steve and others---hold on to your hats, it ain't over. Benitez, a sane and rational man, has ruled against CA on several other gun issues, stating that there is no constitutional basis for these laws whatsoever. Rob Bonta, CA Attorney General and a Newsom appointee, has filed appeals on all of them. The magazine capacity rules, for example. Until the appeals are heard, he gets a San Francisco judge to issue an injunction, keeping the law in place until the appeal process is completed, which can take several years. Let's see what Bonta does in the next few days. If he does nothing, I would presume he accepts the fact that he had no legal grounds to begin with and he won't appeal.

Let's see what happens to the nobody ships ammo to CA and the nobody can go to Montana to hunt, buy ammo, and then bring that ammo back to CA. No importing ammo into CA if it was purchased elsewhere. Hopefully, that crap will get tossed out.

Steve and others---hold on to your hats, it ain't over. Benitez, a sane and rational man, has ruled against CA on several other gun issues, stating that there is no constitutional basis for these laws whatsoever. Rob Bonta, CA Attorney General and a Newsom appointee, has filed appeals on all of them. The magazine capacity rules, for example. Until the appeals are heard, he gets a San Francisco judge to issue an injunction, keeping the law in place until the appeal process is completed, which can take several years. Let's see what Bonta does in the next few days. If he does nothing, I would presume he accepts the fact that he had no legal grounds to begin with and he won't appeal.

Let's see what happens to the nobody ships ammo to CA and the nobody can go to Montana to hunt, buy ammo, and then bring that ammo back to CA. No importing ammo into CA if it was purchased elsewhere. Hopefully, that crap will get tossed out.
Yup Doc, I'm certain Bonta and newsom are looking at all angles to put Benitez ruling on hold until it is decided in the courts, they always do.

Just checked with most of the big dealers, such as Brownell's. Almost all will now ship to CA, no quantity max and no background check. And that's all ammo, not just shotshells.
Does one still need top ship to FFL dealer, or direct to to residential address? thanks in advance.

Now if I can just find what I want, so far zero luck. Rogers, Brownells, Sportsman's warehouse, Bass pro. All had same message out of stock.

Two suppliers I have found that have what I want, Won't ship to Ca. Maybe they are waiting to see if ruling is going to be put on hold. Which is likely to happen.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu