Shipping meat and antlers.

MattS

I am probably going to PA to hunt white tail and my friend want to shoot a red stag on a ranch. What do you guys suggest for getting the meat, antlers, and capes back to San Diego the least expensive way?

I am probably going to PA to hunt white tail and my friend want to shoot a red stag on a ranch. What do you guys suggest for getting the meat, antlers, and capes back to San Diego the least expensive way?
I am going to Texas next week, buying two soft sided coolers and bringing them back on plane to process the meat here(flying Southwest free bags), should save me at least $500. For taxidermy others will know better but the people I know who have done it(and what I plan to do) have them mounted there and then shipped, though that's a pain for shipping too.

I have packed fish and game in styrofoam with dry ice and carried on plane, both as carry on and in cargo compartment. If you do any carry on, airlines limit the amount of dry ice allow in passenger compartment, and you must label box as containing dry ice. I'm not sure about restrictions if shipped as baggage. I would bone it out freeze it, then package it, ship it as baggage in styrofoam with dry ice, again, check with airlines about limits of dry ice allowed. Antlers, you are on your own there, I have no idea how that is handled, maybe UPS. If you run into flight delays, all bets are off.

It depends on the airlines... check their extra baggage weight limits and fees. On Alaska airlines its about half the price to take it as extra overweight baggage ($100 up to 100#) vs shipping it cargo. I just freeze it and check it in. Deer antlers go in my duffle. Piece of cake. Ed F

I have carried on a few white tail. Just pack a soft cooler empty. Then freeze meat where you hunt and pack in soft cooler and cary it as your personal item and it travels free

Back