Shotgun Questions

Lenny

Oct 24, 2021
Does anyone have any good recommendations on affordable semi auto shotguns that are versatile for upland, ducks, and turkeys as well as a local gun fitter? For several years I had a 12 gauge 870 wing master in the family that my uncle let me hang on to that I could powder clays and kill birds with all day but he eventually asked for it back during Covid (great timing). With store shelves practically empty, I had to settle on buying the Girsan Mc312. I’ve put several thousand rounds through it in the past few years and have never been able to shoot it nearly as well as other people’s guns despite carefully reflecting on my fundamentals and trying tons of different ammo, chokes, shims, etc. I’m at my wits end with this damned thing and I’m tired of shooting like a hack.

How about another 870? I mean they work ..I promise .

How about another 870? I mean they work ..I promise .
You’re not wrong! A bunch of buddies of mine have em and it seems like all the 870’s made in the last 15-20 years have cycling issues. Weird for pump actions.

Well...mine was made in 87...and she shoots birds..not targets..she's a bad bitch for sure..if you can find an older Express..might be cheaper ..those wingmasters are for the high rent folk..I actually own a wingmaster in 20 gauge that I had converted to left hand safety..back when you could just mail it back to Remington..no questions asked .those were the days..

Reactions: Lenny
Might think about taking a lesson or two from an instructor who can watch you and figure why the gun is not mounting and fitting you properly When you swing that might help you understand what you need in the way of stock dimensions when you go shopping. Nothing wrong with a Wingmaster for sure but IMO the Italians make the best shotguns in the world.

I'm with Fred (Snake Charmer)....Italian made guns are the best in the world....That said, they're also the most expensive....I personally like Benelli over Beretta (front safety is an issue for me), but either are fine shotguns and along with Franchi, are all part of the same Italian made family.

Franchi is the least priced and will do everything you need it to do....If you can, try shooting one....The Benelli M-2 is a fine shotgun that is less money than the Super Black Eagle 3's, but does not shoot 3 1/2"....It is lighter and is more of a upland gun, but would be more than fine for waterfowl....Stoeger is also part of the Beretta/Benelli family, but it is made in Turkey...Probably worth a look, if that's more in your budget.

I can tell in seconds, if I can shoot a new shotgun and where it shoots....Close your eyes and throw the gun up to your cheek....If you're looking flat down the rib....Then your POI is right on the money and you just cover the bird....If you look down the rib and it appears uphill....Then you need to float the target....Meaning the bird needs to appear above the rib....This is very popular to trap shooters because they're shooting a rising target....Most bird shooters don't like this much....The newer Benelli shotguns shoot high (on purpose)....Benelli does provide shims and some adjustments....I have found that Franchi and Stoeger shoot less high...Everyone is different when it comes to fit.

Good luck

I have an old, 1952 Remington Sportsman 12 gauge shotgun. It features the long stroke recoil operation, which means when the gun is fired the barrel slides back ejecting the spent shell. Weaver choke, skeet barrel. Interested????

Well...mine was made in 87...and she shoots birds..not targets..she's a bad bitch for sure..if you can find an older Express..might be cheaper ..those wingmasters are for the high rent folk..I actually own a wingmaster in 20 gauge that I had converted to left hand safety..back when you could just mail it back to Remington..no questions asked .those were the days..
Agreed. My uncles wingmaster is from the late 70’s and that thing shoots like a dream.

Might think about taking a lesson or two from an instructor who can watch you and figure why the gun is not mounting and fitting you properly When you swing that might help you understand what you need in the way of stock dimensions when you go shopping. Nothing wrong with a Wingmaster for sure but IMO the Italians make the best shotguns in the world.
That’s a great point. Do you have any recommendations for someone relatively local?

You’re not wrong! A bunch of buddies of mine have em and it seems like all the 870’s made in the last 15-20 years have cycling issues. Weird for pump actions.
I have 2 (a 12 and a 20) that have major issues.

I borrowed 870's in the 70's. Just like timex watches, they take a licking and keep ticking. Never one issue. Best shotgun I ever borrowed. :)

I think there is a gross misunderstanding of how to shoot a shotgun.
It is a fact that cast on/off and other variables make a difference. But I think, you can become proficient with any shotgun if you want. I think is a matter of studying the gun, watch your technique and practice.
I always learn how to be a better shot after every dove season. And then I forget until next season..lol.
Is like golf, you can blame it on the clubs but is usually not.
Let us know if you find a shotgun that fits you well.
Mine was cheap and it is yet to let me down.
Mossberg SA-20 it comes with shims, the butt is cast neutral and it can be cut a little if it is a little long.

Reactions: YETI and Lenny
I was in your boat about a year ago and after a ton of research and I ended up with a Berretta a300 and I love it. Lots of adjustability too.
It is a fact that cast on/off and other variables make a difference. But I think, you can become proficient with any shotgun if you want. I think is a matter of studying the gun, watch your technique and practice.
I always learn how to be a better shot after every dove season. And then I forget until next season..lol.
Mossberg SA-20 it comes with shims, the butt is cast neutral and it can be cut a little if it is a little long.
You’re absolutely
Agreed. Shotguns are a fickle beast. Im a lifelong rifle shooter but my shotgun fundamentals a largely self taught through books, forums, YouTube etc. I shoot a lot but for all know, I could be just reaffirming years of bad habits. Hopefully a good gun fit along with revisiting the fundamentals will help that out.

Mean like Karen!!!

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu