Shotgun shooting instruction

Manny308

May 10, 2013
After many years of shooting left-handed( shooting poorly too) I found out I'm right eye dominant. So now I'm switching to shooting right handed. I'm tired of being a poor/fair shot, and would like to get instruction. Any suggestions on where I can get instruction to be a better wingshooter. Hunting upland game is my main interest with sporting clay and trap a second and third. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Manny,

Being opposite eye dominant doesn't mean you can't be a good wing shot.....I actually switched from left to right at a very young age because there weren't any left handed guns (O/U's excepted)...I am left eye dominant...In your case, closing your right eye or wearing a dot on your shooting glasses will help.

Where do you live?......There's a number of places that have give lessons at ranges.

I live in La Mesa. Very close to Fine Firearms. I have looked at the various shooting ranges in San diego but I could'nt find any individual instruction. I have already switched and found better results shooting right-handed. I also read the Orvis guide to wingshooting and they use the Churchhill method or instinctive shooting methods. So I would like to find an instructor who uses that method. I hope that helps.

I don't know about all these different methods......I just pick up my shotgun point, lead, & follow thru what I'm shooting at.

Try this in your backyard......Take your pointing (index) fingers and pretend your holding your shotgun.....Then point at flying or moving objects.....It will give you the concept of pointing, leading, & follow thru.....I have shot shotguns all my life and I still do this from instinct.

Kind of a cool video......Leading a target has a lot to do with experience.

When it comes to shotguns I'm not so sure eye dominance has a lot to do with it. The best piece of advice I ever got on shooting a shotgun is to open both eyes. You don't aim a shotgun, you swing it. You need both eyes opened to judge distance and speed. It was explained to me like this...When you're attempting to hit a baseball you don't aim down the bat with one eye at the incoming ball, you have both eyes opened judging speed and distance to determine when to swing (pull the trigger) to hit the ball. The bat isn't even in your view until you swing it.

Reactions: Manny308
Manny, I've had some private lessons out at P2K, plus before duck season, I join their fall trap league on Thursday, to help sharpen my perishable skills.

Reactions: Manny308
I'll have to see my friend about going out and getting used to a shotgun. I tried it a couple of times and I'm not ashamed to say I'm so bad with one.
But like u all say there is more opportunities to hunt with a shotgun when deer season is over.
I don't own one but maybe in the near future I will have to kick myself in the butt and go buy one.

Manny, P2k has listed their Summer Trap league dates. Starts June 22nd and runs for 8 weeks. Great tune up for up coming doves and waterfowl

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu