Skinny Wigeon

bohdi

Dec 20, 2016
So it’s been close to 15 years since I’ve hunted in SoCal but growing up I spent every chance I could at Henshaw. These would have made life way easier and a game changer with the walk in hunts. While we are on the topic, what’s the status of the joint? I’m thinking about making a trip back to grab a cinnamon teal and hop on a 1 1/2 day trip to get some cod and yellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig
Way less wigeon using Henshaw that in the past. Hunt days are now Thur and Sat. If you're targeting a cinnamin I would skip the $50 permit and 20 degree morning and head to the IV for a much better chance at one or 7.

Way less wigeon using Henshaw that in the past. Hunt days are now Thur and Sat. If you're targeting a cinnamin I would skip the $50 permit and 20 degree morning and head to the IV for a much better chance at one or 7.

This^^^

The lake is higher than last year, but with virtually no weather, it's been tough...Also, willow trees have taken over the lake...So, there's literally only a hand full a places to hunt...The willows have also choked off most the short stemmed bulrush around Monkey island...Main food now is clover and what timothy is still around.

Cinnamons are way more common in the IV...In fact, I haven't seen a cinnamon on Henshaw this season...We got this guy at Henshaw last year with the cinnies.

003.JPG.

This^^^

The lake is higher than last year, but with virtually no weather, it's been tough...Also, willow trees have taken over the lake...So, there's literally only a hand full a places to hunt...The willows have also choked off most the short stemmed bulrush around Monkey island...Main food now is clover and what timothy is still around.

Cinnamons are way more common in the IV...In fact, I haven't seen a cinnamon on Henshaw this season...We got this guy at Henshaw last year with the cinnies.

View attachment 47176.

That’s a nice surprise from Henshaw. I have never seen I any of those there. I’m currently stationed in the south so BW are really common and cinnamons are considered unicorns. It’s funny because I grew up taking them for granted. I will probably end up hunting wister and going to Henshaw just for sentimental reasons.

Can anything be done to control the willows or does VID not care? I know the cows used to do a pretty good job keeping everything knocked down.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu