So close and yet so far

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
been out yote huntin around 10 times,been busted by a few on the trail but never had one come to the call been using an e-caller with no luck.
Headed out saturday with my bow where ive seen yotes crossing the road . my planned spot was about a mile off the road two ridges over.
Hiked over the first ridge and into a draw, the next hill was alot bigger so it was time to shed my jacket, before i started up the hill oh what the heck
i will try this mouth call,not counting on any results thinkin im too close to the road and never really used a mouth call before i wasn't really hidden
and didn't put my motion decoy out. Made my first call and looked up and down the draw nothin, one more time on the call looked down the draw and
here comes the yote up the trail ,oh crap i froze,got no cover in front of me, the yote stopped about 35 yards out ears up looking for the noise and smelling
the air, welp this is my only chance so i slowly come to full draw put the bead on target and..... aahhh busted yote bolts to my left like a rocket ,see ya!!!
The experience was awesome next time i'll have a decoy out to distract him and be well hidden.

Stevo,

Kinda like turkey hunting........Never call without someplace close to hide behind........Better yet, set-up 1st, then call......Better luck next time....... ;)

I've been seeing a lot of this response like this from the dogs. I'm not over pressuring my dogs up here but they just will not come in to an e-call. As soon as I put the hand call to work, the activity picks up or we get charged by one. Nice to have different tricks in the book. They always come out when you're least expecting. Gotta walk around like Elmer Fudd at the ready if you're going to call without cover! ;) Good for you to get out. I'm jonz'n!

that must of gotten the blood pumping... its happed to me but I had my AR and he didn't go far after busting me.

Howls, pup distress, and fawn distress can work well this time of year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu