so I got lucky

longbowhunter2

I finally got my head space comparator , I verified 4 fire 243 Remington brass cartridges measured 1,616 exactly, my resize cartridges' checked 1.614 . sometimes I get lucky.
I spot check the resized cartridge neck & body with calipers all good to go. I purchased the Lyman electric trimmer for bottle necks will be next step.
received my OAL gage & bullet comparator kit, and waiting for my modified 243 cartridge to arrive. In addition I will use a fired brass and head seat a bullet with a slight press. and use it to compare with the gage. I wish they had not broken the inside edge of the head space comparator , should of left it sharp. On my similar designs I would leave the edge sharp and always worked well.

Did you get a fireformed modified case or buy one online?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did you get a fireformed modified case or buy one online?

they sent me the wrong modified cartridge, on line purchase, and I can not find it for sale on line. so I will have to make one. 6 mm drill , forgot tap size, I wrote it down. see if I have a tap in in my inventory.
I have a full tap set, if not I will have to order it.

here the tap and drill on amazon, 5/16-36 tap & 7.3 mm but according to my tap drill chart an letter I drill should work fine.
my son in law just got a small drill press, use a mag v block and shim it to be straight, should work fine.

they sent me the wrong modified cartridge, on line purchase, and I can not find it for sale on line. so I will have to make one. 6 mm drill , forgot tap size, I wrote it down. see if I have a tap in in my inventory.
I have a full tap set, if not I will have to order it.

Would be pretty cool to have a lathe/drill press and tooling to do that. I just paid Fine Firearms to do make my modified case, $10 I think.

Would be pretty cool to have a lathe/drill press and tooling to do that. I just paid Fine Firearms to do make my modified case, $10 I think.

that's were I messed up, I got burned out from working in machine shops all my life. I should of purchased a small tool lathe and mill before I retired.
I can make any thing, I just need to practice again because I have not run a manual machine in a while. but I learned as an apprentice before becoming an engineer.
I could of designed and built better stuff than I purchased. but that's life in general.

so some thing to mention if no interference from the hardware a 1-2 Inch disk micrometer would be way more stable and accurate than calibers. I wish I had save some of my gage blocks to calibrate inspection tools prior to using them. it's very easy for precision tools to get knocked out of calibration.

Back