Socal buck down!

Brian marable

Nov 22, 2017
Temecula
IMG_2408.jpegWas able to get lucky and shoot my personal best socal buck, in some brushy nasty country. Back packed in with a buddy saturday mid day. Glassed up a few deer that afternoon. Then sunday morning was only finding does. Out of nowhere a little forky walked under me at about 100 yards. Put the scope on him and then looked back at my buddy saying he isnt what i want which is a first for me during rifle season. About an hour and a half later my buddy spotted these deer behind us about 900 yards away was able to close in to 400 did not have a shot in the Brushy chaparral jungle only being able to see 2 does and his head. Went up the mountain another 200 yards or so. 320 yards away Found him bedded under a manzanita bush. Pretty tight shot window for me. Went through the process multiple times. Seeing if I was going to be able to make the shot, decided everything was right, so I sent a round. He stood up, got wobbly. I was waiting for him to go down. He decided to turn so I sent another round then lost sight of him. Service was really bad. I got a text from my buddy that he went down. Couldn’t be happier. I still have a D 16 tag left but i think my kids want to go fishing more than i need to fill my 3rd deer tag. So fishing and my first time hunting with my dad ever this year for ducks is what im doing the rest of the season.
IMG_2411.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2471.png
    IMG_2471.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
that is a D15 buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Passing on a legal public land buck takes some balls. Congrats!

Also, good job on the follow-up shot. I lost a great bull last year because I took my eyes off after dumping him. Never again.

Reactions: Brian marable
Passing on a legal public land buck takes some balls. Congrats!

Also, good job on the follow-up shot. I lost a great bull last year because I took my eyes off after dumping him. Never again.
Thank you I appreciate it. Sorry about your bull. A wise man told me one time you can’t kill a big one if you keep shooting a little ones.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu