Soooo close!

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
I was set up way early in a new spot I scouted last night. Set up a short way from my car. AO tag in my pocket, waiting in the dark by a tree. In the dark I heard one approaching but it must have winded me because it snorted and trotted off to my left (just enough light to see a shape) to the far side of the meadow. As the light came up, there was activity behind me and also a pair of deer in the meadow in front, probably 80 yards. They worked their way around and eventually across the meadow. The trailing deer had an attitude like a rutting buck (trailing 10-15 feet behind the lead animal, head low, nose and tail up). As the light came up I could just make out the white of his antlers. Good main beams but I couldn't count his points due to low light. I waited to get a better count, just a few seconds.... I watched him follow her into the trees.
No problem. I waited a few and then gave an estrus bleat. A few minutes later a buck appears about 60 yards away, from the direction I'd seen them go. He was definitely legal: antlers about half again as wide as his erect ears. But he was facing me head on through some heavy cover. He kept trees between us and approached but the cover was too thick for me to say how close. I'd guess he came in to about 40 yards given the angle and his pace. Then I heard him turn and trot off. The light wind had shifted and I'm sure he got a whiff of me.
I spent the rest of the morning scouting. Lots and lots of fresh sign, stalked a couple of groups of does to see if they had company (they didn't), now heading over to visit a buddy before I go back out this afternoon.
Come on, Bambi!

Thanks guys. Yeah it was a great day. Went back this afternoon and found a better spot. Less exposed, so I could move (glass and range) more freely as the need arose. No bucks, but half dozen does. Next time...

ilovesprig said:
Good luck Don........Were you on MCC?
Yup. I didn't see that many deer all last year on public land. Of courses, that was with a rifle so I wasn't in the rec area. Still amazing how much more deer on private land.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu