spacex

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
about time we did this instead of relying on others.

space is cool

click watch....

Sure is! I considered working there out of college but some of people who graduated the year ahead of me told me that you can expect to make well over 6 figures out of college with an expectation of working 70-80 hrs a week.

I decided watching from the outside and having more time outdoors was more important.

That HAL was a real sob!
That HAL was a real sob!
about time we did this instead of relying on others.

space is cool

click watch....

Space Is COOL! I remember growing up during the “Space Race”. The Russkis launched Sputnik in 1957 to get things going. They tried 4 times between 1969 and 1972 to launch a lunar landing craft. They had launch-pad explosion in 1969 that knocked them out of the race. A few days later Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon. All of the USA were glued to their black and white TVs watching. The boost the space program to science, engineering and the economy was tremendous. I was fascinated and inspired to choose a science career in geochemistry. I had the privilege to work on Moon rocks, and to determine the U-Pb age of the Moon’s formation. The space program led to leaps in technology. At UCSB a clean- lab was built to study the lunar rocks to see if there was any life on the Moon. It was constructed so that anything biological form the Moon rocks could not escape and pollute the Earth. Nothing from the outside could enter to contaminate the experiments. Didn’t find any life on the rocks. That was a good thing because one of the grad students brought a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the facility. The next morning they found a trail of ants from outside that had found the PB&J! There was great interest as to the origin of the craters on the Moon. I remember fondly attending the annual Lunar Science Conferences at NASA and listening to the heated debates on crater origin by impact. The physics of cratering led to speculation that the Moon formed by a huge impact that penetrated the Earth into the mantle. The Moon is derived from the material ejected. This also led to the idea that impacts on Mars could have ejected material, and that material could have fallen on the Earth as meteorites. Turned out to be true. Mars meteorites have been recovered from the glacial ice in Antarctica. I could go on and on. Space is exciting and very cool!

Sure is! I considered working there out of college but some of people who graduated the year ahead of me told me that you can expect to make well over 6 figures out of college with an expectation of working 70-80 hrs a week.

I decided watching from the outside and having more time outdoors was more important.

Chase the money while you can bro it all pays off. When your 55 and call it quits, you can hunt for months

Reactions: Smokey58
Space Is COOL! I remember growing up during the “Space Race”. The Russkis launched Sputnik in 1957 to get things going. They tried 4 times between 1969 and 1972 to launch a lunar landing craft. They had launch-pad explosion in 1969 that knocked them out of the race. A few days later Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon. All of the USA were glued to their black and white TVs watching. The boost the space program to science, engineering and the economy was tremendous. I was fascinated and inspired to choose a science career in geochemistry. I had the privilege to work on Moon rocks, and to determine the U-Pb age of the Moon’s formation. The space program led to leaps in technology. At UCSB a clean- lab was built to study the lunar rocks to see if there was any life on the Moon. It was constructed so that anything biological form the Moon rocks could not escape and pollute the Earth. Nothing from the outside could enter to contaminate the experiments. Didn’t find any life on the rocks. That was a good thing because one of the grad students brought a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the facility. The next morning they found a trail of ants from outside that had found the PB&J! There was great interest as to the origin of the craters on the Moon. I remember fondly attending the annual Lunar Science Conferences at NASA and listening to the heated debates on crater origin by impact. The physics of cratering led to speculation that the Moon formed by a huge impact that penetrated the Earth into the mantle. The Moon is derived from the material ejected. This also led to the idea that impacts on Mars could have ejected material, and that material could have fallen on the Earth as meteorites. Turned out to be true. Mars meteorites have been recovered from the glacial ice in Antarctica. I could go on and on. Space is exciting and very cool!
Very cool stuff BBH,
How heavy were the moon rocks,
Density?
I was in junior high at the time, I remember all of it very well.
We are living history, I shook hands with
JFK, RK before the were murdered.
I was always intrigued with space and the planets , I studied the designs of the German V2 rockets and the Atlas

Reactions: Smokey58 and BBH
Very cool stuff BBH,
Density?
I was always intrigued with space and the planets , I studied the designs of the German V2 rockets and the Atlas
The Moon rocks are very similar to igneous rocks on Earth, so similar density to a basalt or gabbro. When I was in grade school I had a book about Wernher von Braun. Loved reading about him and looking at pictures of his rockets. Made a few of my own from Al pipes!

Very cool stuff BBH,
Density?
Pretty cool you shook hands with JK and RK. I saw RK speak at the Univ of Kansas Allen Field House on his way to LA in 1968 to be assassinated.

Reactions: Smokey58
After the space shuttle fiasco.
I got a gig at General Dynamics Space
Systems , working on the re-vamping
Of the Atlas and centaur.
I really liked that job, I sorry to see
General Dynamics sell it all off,
Between convair and space systems 10k
Lost jobs in San Diego .
Not including all medium to small businesses that closed shop,
Some of the projects done was the cruise missile.
Shuttle, md11, various work for other main contractors, such as Boeing, McDonald Douglas, Lockheed, and on.
Of course the famous F16.
To me it was my Disney Land.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey58 and BBH
I am a space nut. Love it. Meant my wife at Rockwell when she was on the shuttle program. Before that I was at Rockwell at the end of the Apollo program , I actually got to sit in one of the last capsule.

After the space shuttle fiasco.
I got a gig at General Dynamics Space
Systems , working on the re-vamping
Of the Atlas and centaur.
I really liked that job, I sorry to see
General Dynamics sell it all off,
Between convair and space systems 10k
Lost jobs in San Diego .
Not including all medium to small businesses that closed shop,
Some of the projects done was the cruise missile.
Shuttle, md11, various work for other main contractors, such as Boeing, McDonald Douglas, Lockheed, and on.
Of course the famous F16.
To me it was my Disney Land.
Interesting Lee.. my pops also worked at GD on the Tomahawk program in the '80s-90s and the Atlas program when it was housed at current-day NAVWAR. You guys probably crossed paths.

I worked for Convair back in early 80's.
I did some work on the cruise missile bodies, made from aluminum forgings.
Trouble shooted problems on the floor.
Before the Navy tighten up the security.
I was able to view the entire assembly line.
Very exciting and complex work.
This was a home grown Convair San Diego project all done here back then.
I was proud American doing a small part of my job. I had a need to know because
I worked the floor , machine shop, sheet metal and Assembly.

Reactions: BBH and Smokey58
I worked for Convair back in early 80's.
I did some work on the cruise missile bodies, made from aluminum forgings.
Trouble shooted problems on the floor.
Before the Navy tighten up the security.
I was able to view the entire assembly line.
Very exciting and complex work.
This was a home grown Convair San Diego project all done here back then.
I was proud American doing a small part of my job. I had a need to know because
I worked the floor , machine shop, sheet metal and Assembly.
Our family went to visit the the Smithsonian in DC in the early 60s to see Friendship 7, the space capsul that John Glenn, the first man to orbit the Earth, rode. My 2 younger brothers and I climbed over the ropes and jumped in to check it out. Somehow my dad talked the guards into not kicking us out! Our other favorite display was a telephone with video so you could see the person you were talking too. Who could imagine!

Last edited:
Our family went to visit the the Smithsonian in DC in the early 60s to see Friendship 7, the space capsul that John Glenn, the first man to orbit the Earth, rode. My 2 younger brothers and I climbed over the ropes and jumped in to check it out. Somehow my dad talked the guards into not kicking us out!
@BBH this sounds like my first time to the Smithsonian Museum. I was that kid that slipped under the ropes to check out the lunar lander. Wish I knew which one, circa 1986. My parents pretended to not know me until the crowd dispersed.

Reactions: TRICER and BBH
Chase the money while you can bro it all pays off. When your 55 and call it quits, you can hunt for months

Nah, I would rather hunt a month a year in combinations with working until I die. A month a year until i'm 55 is 2 years of hunting I can have under my belt when I get to that age.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu