Sportmen's Catering Service

MOUTHCALLINMATT

Sep 15, 2019
Sportmen's Catering Service was established in 1965 by my Grandfather, Max Berg. After 42 years of owning & running the business it got to be too much for him to handle in his older years. He then sold it to long time Niland residents, Frank & Marilyn Bailey. Marilyn worked during the days for Max prior to owning the business so he could hunt. Frank being an avid waterfowler & Marilyn with her sweet disposition, it was an obvious fit for them to take over the business & carry on with great service & smiles just as Max had done for so many years prior.

This is Frank & Marilyn's last season running Sportmen's Catering Service. They bought a house & will be moving to Texas. I know that all who hunt Wister will be sad to see them go. You'd be hard pressed to find a more honest, caring, & hard working couple. We need more people like them in this world.

If they made an impression on you in some way or if you just want to wish them well, I gave them a memory book for you all to write in. It will be kept at the check station so please make sure you sign it or share anything you want to tell them. Tape some photos in it too.

Sorry for not getting it out sooner. If you aren't coming down anymore this season but want to contribute to the book, feel free to email your message to me & I will make sure they get it.
[email protected]

Additionally, the business is for sale. If anyone is interested or you know someone who might be interested in owning & running it, please contact Frank. You can PM me for his number. They want to see Sportmen's Catering continue as much as I'm sure we all do. They will help in anyway they can including coming out next season to get it up & running if there are new owners. Hopefully this amazing little trailer that holds so many memories for generations, can continue to serve the Wister hunters.

Didn't the state give them a hard time back in 2014 or 2015 about renewing their lease or permit for the business to operate there on the wildlife area? If someone takes it over is there any guarantee the state won't yank the permit or something because of the change in ownership? Call me a pessimist but whoever takes it over will be dealing with the state.

Didn't the state give them a hard time back in 2014 or 2015 about renewing their lease or permit for the business to operate there on the wildlife area? If someone takes it over is there any guarantee the state won't yank the permit or something because of the change in ownership? Call me a pessimist but whoever takes it over will be dealing with the state.

I was actually talking to Frank about that this morning.

Not sure why that came about but my guess is that some new State employee who had never dealt with the permit before, just didn't want to deal with it. One of the reasons was, "there's nothing else like it in the State".

Scott Sewell was able to make it happen. Not only did it get fixed but he was able to get a 3 year contract. My Grandpa never had a 3 year contract. It was always year to year with no guarantees.

It sounds like they are more understanding of it now & the fact that the business sells licenses & area use permits, it's in the State's interest to allow it to continue.

There's 1 year left on the current contract.

I was actually talking to Frank about that this morning.

Not sure why that came about but my guess is that some new State employee who had never dealt with the permit before, just didn't want to deal with it. One of the reasons was, "there's nothing else like it in the State".

Scott Sewell was able to make it happen. Not only did it get fixed but he was able to get a 3 year contract. My Grandpa never had a 3 year contract. It was always year to year with no guarantees.

It sounds like they are more understanding of it now & the fact that the business sells licenses & area use permits, it's in the State's interest to allow it to continue.

There's 1 year left on the current contract.
Glad to hear that. Sounds like it won't be a problem with that info.

Reactions: utahduckhunter
From 1987 to 1989 I looked forward to cold mornings and F’n HOT chocolate at wister. Strangely enough, I miss Gastons too.

Reactions: ilovesprig
we used to hit gaston's for breakfast on our way to union track. our name for the place was choke and puke just an inside joke. it was pretty good at 3:30 in the morning

• Haha
Reactions: Nuevo
I preferred the Niland Club Cafe. Amazing fried Shrimp, Egg Foo Young, & chicken gizzards.

I’m guessing that was the Chinese restaurant in town? We went there once, I thought it was great! Never could remember the name of the place.

Niland Club Cafe is on Niland Ave & Main St.
Lucille Ma was the owner. She passed it on to her daughter Debbie who could cook as good as Lucille. It was some of the best Chinese Food I've ever had. Debbie's husband Don, ran the bar. It was as divey as divey gets. Good people though.

The IV was where the Buckshot is. It was pretty good too but kind of greasy.

When my Grandpa first took me out there, he used to take his birds to a black lady in town who would clean them. I think he paid $1 per duck & $3 for geese. Can't remember her name at the moment. Those services just don't exist anymore. I see similarities in the loss of these old establishments along with Tule Lake. Both areas just aren't what they used to be.

Another thing I remember & looked forward to every year was going to the DU dinner (later it was CWA) at the Niland Chamber of Commerce bldg. Great memories for sure.

Niland Club Cafe is on Niland Ave & Main St.
Lucille Ma was the owner. She passed it on to her daughter Debbie who could cook as good as Lucille. It was some of the best Chinese Food I've ever had. Debbie's husband Don, ran the bar. It was as divey as divey gets. Good people though.

The IV was where the Buckshot is. It was pretty good too but kind of greasy.

When my Grandpa first took me out there, he used to take his birds to a black lady in town who would clean them. I think he paid $1 per duck & $3 for geese. Can't remember her name at the moment. Those services just don't exist anymore. I see similarities in the loss of these old establishments along with Tule Lake. Both areas just aren't what they used to be.

Another thing I remember & looked forward to every year was going to the DU dinner (later it was CWA) at the Niland Chamber of Commerce bldg. Great memories for sure.
Matt I have so many great memories of Wister and Tule lake. Used to take our ducks and geese into the Mallard at Tule lake for cleaning. I think we paid 1.5-0 or 2.00. Trudy and her mother don't remember her name ran the place. we would always pickup a case of horse radish that they sold there. It was the best

Matt I have so many great memories of Wister and Tule lake. Used to take our ducks and geese into the Mallard at Tule lake for cleaning. I think we paid 1.5-0 or 2.00. Trudy and her mother don't remember her name ran the place. we would always pickup a case of horse radish that they sold there. It was the best

Mike,

I still have a poster from The Mallard and still buy Tule Lake horseradish...It is the best.

Reactions: Duckfan
Matt,

Thanks for the update...sorry to see them go, but totally understand wanting to move on. I pray someone does take it on, but the kind of person(s) that might be interested are probably 'few and far between'.

You know how I feel about Max, you and the whole family. Any hunter that visited Wister knew of Max....and how special he was, for so many reasons. My hunt with 3 generations of Bergs (with Wade) is still a highlight of my 56 years of hunting. And my hunting career all started at Wister, in the early 60's.

Prayers that a new owner is found and continues the business with tons of success.

I'll never forget when I took these pictures!!!! Jan 2005. (Like it was yesterday...) :)

1579498772761.png

1579498856848.png

1579498946392.png

1579499158989.png

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu