Starting Small

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
This is my first year hunting, so I am starting small. I've been chasing rabbits around and managed to get in some dove time as well. I've been trying to 'walk them up' during the day when they're hiding and spot and stalk in the morning/evening when they are out eating. That's my favorite so far; moving slow, looking, and listening to the 'woods'.

It's cool to play around with different methods. So far I've use a pellet gun and a 12 gauge. I just bought a 22, which will be next, if I can find some ammo.

I can't wait to go after something bigger someday, but I'm really enjoying the rabbits. A good amount of meat for your effort and they are plentiful. The other day I grilled one with thyme, garlic, and lemon zest; it was freaking delicious and I want more. See you out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
Sorry that pics a little blurry. Taken with my phone in the evening, looked ok on the small screen.

That one weighed out almost 2 lbs gutted and skinned.

That's great your getting your feet wet with the small game. While you are out chasing rabbits keep a look out for the bigger animals. Then you will know were to look when it's time.

Great job! Cottontails are really delicious. I like them better than chicken. :) glad you are having a good time hunting.

Baldkrash said:
Did you gut it and skin it in the field or at home?

I cleaned the first one in my garage and got blood and fleas everywhere (also basically my first non-fish kill, so there was a learning curve). Since then I committed to cleaning them in the field. I carry a little flexible lunch box with ice, once cleaned they get bagged and stuck in there. Usually I'm doing it with a head lamp or in the headlights of my car. Keeps the mess away from my house.

good job. but ya careful with fleas. I gut them & skin after I am done hunting & leave it for the predators.
while hunting I throw those tasty critters in a plastic bag & tie the bags to keep the fleas from jumping my butt.
I wear a bird vest, & toss them to the back of the vest.
then gut & skin them then use a clean bag to store them till I get to my vehicle. then throw them in cooler with ice.
HTH

Nice job! Hopefully I am not too far behind you. lol. I just started hunting not too long ago and am also starting with small game. I use a longbow so it might take me longer to finally reach my success. Anyway nice hit and have fun!

What particular method did you use for this kill? Spot and stalk etc. What time of day was it? Is this your first animal? Sorry for all the questions but I am itching to learn as much as I can.

Jeremy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu