Suggestions

Sfc2140

Aug 7, 2012
I love this website but i have some ideas of improvement. Let me know what you think

I feel that separating into different groups. You see on other forums where everything is grouped together into sub forums. ex:

Out of State Hunting
-Midwest Hunting
-Northwest Hunting
-East coast hunting (how ever you want to word or lablel the sub forums just providing examples.
Southern CA Hunting
-General SO cal hunting discussion
-Stories
-hunting partners/hook up

General Discussion
-General
-Politics
-Funny
Guns
-Bolt Action
-AR platform
-Handgun
Backpacking/Camping/Survival
-XXXXX
-XXXXX

This is just an example you can see with other forums they are laid out this way. This is a great site but everything on one layer can be confusing. Seperating this way we could provide more content and show that we are a big time forum. Each sub forum such as Guns section we could have a Picture gallery as well So you would click on hand guns we could have a sticky where there is a picture gallery so if people want to submit photos of their gun set ups or new toys they can. This is just a suggestion that I think could be very beneficial as we grow. Below are a couple of examples of other types of forums where they use the grouping method.

http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Let me know what you think.

We will look into and see what our forum is capable of. We are still moving to new software and don't want to complicate our current format and create migration challenges.

We will look at this and report back

The problem with breaking it down into granular subforums is that it gets too busy. Some sites break everything down by state, and have subcategories for their subcategories. I personally don't visit those, as it's too tedious. In fact, I love the "unread posts" or "new posts" feature on some forums, which shows me threads with new posts that I haven't read. I miss much less than I would otherwise.

Just my 2 bits!

El Matavenados said:
The problem with breaking it down into granular subforums is that it gets too busy. Some sites break everything down by state, and have subcategories for their subcategories. I personally don't visit those, as it's too tedious. In fact, I love the "unread posts" or "new posts" feature on some forums, which shows me threads with new posts that I haven't read. I miss much less than I would otherwise.

Just my 2 bits!

I second your 2 bits. Unread posts is what I go to first.

El Matavenados said:

Just my 2 bits!

I agree and some sights are way tedious. How ever I feel this site is that was as well. No structure just a long list of different categories. Not saying there needs to be sub forums on top of sub forums but the more categories the longer the list grows and more cluttered it looks. Just think that there needs to be a better structure to the presentation of the forum. It could be as simple as breaking in to 3 groups or 4 of sub forums as to not be so tedious and crazy. Some way to organize the information better. I love the forum but think there is just has to be a better way to present it especially as it grows larger and larger.

I also agree that new post highlights are great.

SCH has made some forum changes that should meet the majority of the users needs. We have tried to make changes that make sense for everyone. Therefore we have mildly categorized the different discussion boards as well as added a few new ones to help delineate.

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks,

Your SCH Team

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu