Sunday dog hunt

8SteelTown

My hunting buddy and I are going out for yote on Sunday. Undecided but out of RivCo for sure. Got 4 "paper scouted" spots on the table so far. SD, High Desert, SBNF, CNF maybe.

If anyone recommends a spot, send me a PM.

Good luck Jesse. The calling has been tough as of late. I would stick to vocalizations and stay longer on stand than normal.

Josh Pearson said:
Good luck Jesse. The calling has been tough as of late. I would stick to vocalizations and stay longer on stand than normal.

Copy that. I'll give it a try. Based off time of year, you think sticking with pup calls / female distress would be best?

Went out Sunday. Hunted / scouted for about 10 hours. Had some absolute killer spots! TONS of moto riders and jeep convoys that busted up a couple of our stands. Gotta get off the beaten path more... First 4 stands (4 hours) did pup distress, female howls, female distress, pup howls, pack calls. Nothing was working, no responses or visuals. Switched up to hand calling for prey distress and bird distress. Still nada. Some spots the wind was ripping at like 25-30 mph. Ended up taking a jackrabbit w/ the .308. First kill with the .308 so at least I got that going for me. Pretty gnarly result.

Good day besides not seeing, hearing, or shooting a dog.

Chevy.jpg

SurfNHuntSD said:
I'd like to see a post-kill shot of that jackrabbit with the .308...

I hit him a little low / back cuz he was moving. The only thing holding his top half and bottom half together was 2 straps of skin. Picture shows entry hole and you can see through him. The exit hole went almost up to the shoulder. Almost no internals. Actually bummed me out... wanted to eat him. Both legs were shattered, all the meat was just gone. Kept a foot to make a keychain. Wanted to harvest some crow too... figure they eat pretty good where I was... they were only at campsites, wouldn't fly off, and I couldn't legally take one.
Jack.jpg

Hallx7 said:
Looks like a fun trip nonetheless. We'll hit it up midweek sometime soon.

Yeah we had a good time. I appreciate the tips. We're going to start going out and doing this maybe once a month, checking different areas. Looking forward to it!

to much camo! try jeans and a t shirt or a hoodie next time

Toua70 said:
is that the Ruger American?

Yes sir... Got it for SUPER CHEAP. With the scope and sling, I think I was about $500-$550 including all fees and paperwork. Now if I could just figure out how to shoot it accurately to hit a coyote face further than 300 yards!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu