Taking 8yr old grandaughter out for first hunt (opinions on place)

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey all. So its time. My granddaughter turns 8 next weekend. My wife is giving her a mermaid party. she is getting the hole treatment with monofins and hand made tails and everything. she is girly girl except when i asked her what she wants for her birthday. "I want to go hunting!" :) she has been practicing with her little compound bow for months, she cant wait until she can take the hunt class and test (mom says wait until she is 10) But moms says yes to start taking her out hunting. I cant get away until after the 4th of July. sooooo any ideas? recommendations? I was thinking Imperial for euros since i haven't been in a while but it will be over 100. Might be too hot for her for her first time. but we will have a pool and a room. i had talked with one great guy on her last year about too many cotton tails on his property and he had an open invite. like a moron i accidentally deleted his PM. at the advise of ilovespring :-* i will be joining MCC but ive got to wait for my truck payments to be over with :'( 1 more year. im open to what we hunt she sits still no problem especially with her little pink bushnell binos and she has a long attention span. Coyote, cottons, euros, jacks, or even ground squirels. she loves the out doors so it will be a great time anyway but id like her to at least see game.

any help to make her first hunt memorable would be awesome.

Big Horn Canyon Ranch

I'm almost kidding.
Actually I am kidding because it wouldn't be good to see those farm animals get shot while they are feeding at the trough.

If I have other ideas for areas up in your neck of the woods I'll let you know.

Doug,

I know the IV is hot in July, but if you get out early, and don't stay late, she should have a great time.....I took my daughter many times dove hunting out there.....As long as there was a pool, no problem.....lol

ps.....Probably don't have to tell you this, but bug spray (lotion better for kids IMO) and sunscreen are a must.

Dan, i actually did think about big horn but i did not want her first trip to be soo easy she thinks that is hunting.

Steve, I am leaning that way it will be a good fun mid week trip for all. bug spray and sun screen is always in the center console of the truck.

Just seeing if any one has any ideas i haven't thought of. Or maybe some one feels lik opening there farm or ranch???? ;) ;D just hoping!

I think big horn is kinda up in the air. I have been there before and it is no challenge at all if you are going for pigs. If you are trying to get one of the exotic sheeps you have to actually put effort into it. If they see you or something they are quick to take off. Im not saying its super hard but for your granddaughter she might like having to chase them down alittle IMO.

GSPman said:
Ummmm. How about the meat. I've never had sheep lamb or goat? Can I smoke it? Bake it?

Mouflan smells and taste like crap IMO. But Texas Dall and any of the goats & sheep taste good. Slow cooking that meat is the best. I smoke it also.

Hey Steve. I know you were down in the iv a little bit ago how was the euro population? Also I've never really driven through wister. Can I drive through the roads of Wister? Can I hunt euros or rabbits in wister it only fuck during season?

Is there any coyote hunting in the iv? Is it shot gun only? Or is there a general area I can hunt with a rifle? Maybe towards the hills to the south east?

GSPman said:
Ummmm. How about the meat. I've never had sheep lamb or goat? Can I smoke it? Bake it?

IMO if you slow cook it then it takes pretty good. I cooked my Mouflan that way and it turned out pretty good. I think its all about how you cook it and how you season the meat.

GSPman said:

It was good in smoked sausage... a few years back my buddy got a nice mouflon ram. We marinated/grilled the backstrap, it was ok. But the rest he ground into sausage and smoked, which was pretty good. But I guess everything tastes good that way, so..

GSPman said:
Hey Steve. I know you were down in the iv a little bit ago how was the euro population? Also I've never really driven through wister. Can I drive through the roads of Wister? Can I hunt euros or rabbits in wister it only freak during season?

Is there any coyote hunting in the iv? Is it shot gun only? Or is there a general area I can hunt with a rifle? Maybe towards the hills to the south east?

Doug,

The euro pop is only fair at best in the places I have gone in years past.....Was down again today and it was OK.....40 for 2 of us.

You can NOT hunt Wister this time of year....You CAN drive around though. Just sign in at the kiosk (no charge with a hunting or fishing license).

You can hunt coyotes most anywhere down near Wister. Lots of auxiliary roads that head to the sea or adjacent farm land.....Rifles are OK, but remember, it's pretty flat out there.

Good luck

I think she is ready! She is so happy to be rolling out with grandma and grandpa. Her bow skills are also progressing very well. New boots new shirt New hat. Couldnt find pants that fit and matched. Hope to see some of you out the 5th - 7th in the IV.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    793.9 KB · Views: 8

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu