Taxidermy supply shortage?

Vdubpig

Oct 27, 2019
I knew this was coming....
Dropped off my son's boar head last February to a taxidermist here in SoCal who I won't name, because I don't want to unfairly slander a guy.. he seemed a bit disorganized and more in the business of talking taxidermy and bragging about his accomplishments than actually DOING taxidermy. Had a thing where if you pay upfront he'd prioritize your job because then he doesn't have to worry about collecting on completion or doing work on mounts that someone never finishes paying on.
So I pay upfront. He says 10-12 month's.
Call him at 10 months. Call him at 12 months. Call him today.. 16 months later. He keeps saying there's some national shortage of parts, and he's trying to find jawsets and teeth for the mount. I don't believe him, and doing some googling it looks like there's plenty available on the internet. Any taxidermists out there who might shed some light on the subject?

Thx

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

You got boned...pm me the guys name..I'm sure I know him..

Reactions: BOWUNTR
1 year-ish isn't uncommon for smaller shops. This does not sound good though and you're 100% justified for being suspicious.

What taxidermist makes himself the hero and not the client?

There was a time period last year that there we're shortages and time delays.... that's pretty much over. There's plenty of suppliers out there... if one doesn't have it another one will.

I suspect that your taxidermist is lying to you. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hold them accountable to the quoted time. Ed F

Sadly I get lied to every once in awhile and have checks written that come up short, Doesn't happen often but still people ask me to keep their pets safe and then they come up short. Anymore if its one training I call them first and if no resolve comes forward I just post it to their neighbors so they know not to trust them. If significent money is involved then I do the small cliams court thing an I report them to the credit people none of it without warning so they have the chance to make it right. Some people are just dirtbags and mostly what I see is the folks that do bad have money and just don't care...

I gotta find a way to put the pressure on without being a jerk. He's got my money and my son's pig. I'll probably call him next week and offer to help him source the jaw sets. He didn't strike me as internet savvy, as he's a bit long in the tooth..

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I know who you're talking about. Drop in unannounced and put some pressure on him... he'll get it done. Be the squeaky wheel... Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu