Temperatures at Wister and SJ during season

Kbird22

Apr 19, 2020
Random question but I'm trying to get my gear in order for the upcoming season. Just wondering how cold it gets out there

I'm sure its pretty warm early season

I've seen temperatures out a twister at + 100 degrees on opening day weekend. Temperatures at SJ on opening weekend highs of 90-95. I seen temperatures at SJ cold enough to forum ice over night on some of the larger pond. Temperatures range from one extreme to the other it seems like. Good luck with the revamp of your gear.

I've seen temperatures out a twister at + 100 degrees on opening day weekend. Temperatures at SJ on opening weekend highs of 90-95. I seen temperatures at SJ cold enough to forum ice over night on some of the larger pond. Temperatures range from one extreme to the other it seems like. Good luck with the revamp of your gear.
Thanks man. I had it easy out at Kern last year. Temps were fairly consistent

Lowest I saw San Jac was 18 degrees driving out on the car temp gauge. Ice on all water. Highest, over 100 at San Jac one time. Wister, hot all the time when there's no wind in my opinion. After the time change mornings can be a little chilly, but usually warms up in the afternoon.

I've hunted in 100-degree weather and I've had to break ice in the ponds (although not very thick) so that's the range. And, you could just about have either at any time during the season around here except for the real cold about the first month of the season.

Reactions: Kbird22
The early season at Wister can be brutal. Need to be off the pond by 9-10 otherwise you are burning up. Usually will have 1 week of extreme cold between thanksgiving and christmas but will warm up quick when the sun comes up

My big game hunting days may be coming to a close. my knees have crashed and burned. unless they get better, my deep hiking days are over, I waiting for Hatched to hunt with me in the truck;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu