Terrain and general questions for rabbit hunting

wise0wl

Jul 18, 2014
Hello all,

I went out this last weekend for my first time with the goal of scouting and bagging some bunnies. I headed out into the San Bernadino National Forest off the 330 and began my hike about half an hour before sunrise. Since this was my first time I did not find any game, nor did I even see any. At this point I am assuming that I am doing everything wrong.

Most of the time the brush was too thick and too high to walk through, and the hills were too steep (not to mention muddy because of the rain that morning). Was my choice of terrain wrong? What suggestions would you folks like to offer that could increase my chances of spotting (and shooting) the elusive sylvilagus audubonii?

look for flat rolling hills, with lots of clearings next to bushes. look mostly at or below 4000 ft.
it takes lots of time, gas & walking. just keep looking. try different spots.
I like to find spots like that has washout areas like small gorges. just keep trying.
look mostly at sunrise & sunset. during the day bunnies will be in their burros.

They live in the bushes and eat in the clearings...transitional areas is where to catch them.

Go slow and spend time just looking and waiting and letting the surroundings "sink in".

Handgun said:
They live in the bushes and eat in the clearings...transitional areas is where to catch them.

Go slow and spend time just looking and waiting and letting the surroundings "sink in".
X2. Look for them along the edges of (sage)brush as they come out to feed in the early evening, or as they scurry from bush to bush in the morning. If u train your eye to pick up on the white tail u can sometimes see them trying to hide. I seem to have most success spotting them mid morning, when I catch the sun shining thru their 'red' ears.

I hunt those same types of areas. I walk very slow, listening for brush movement and continuously scanning my eyes left and right. When they see you coming they will hold still and hope to hide. You don't always see the whole animal, many times just an eye, ear, or tail. For me it's mostly the eyes.

If I'm feeling ambitious I stomp up or downhill, through the brush, sometimes with a partner to my side. You can get them to to flush them out ahead. That can work even in the daytime.

Stop and watch a clearing for a bit, if you don't see anything, give a little whistle to get them to perk up their little pink ears.

Handgun said:
Stop and watch a clearing for a bit, if you don't see anything, give a little whistle to get them to perk up their little pink ears.

hahahaha that's a good one. I sometimes will whistle while it is running . sometime it will stop to check out the scene. I seem to pick up movement and their ears. hahaha. If I Am using my shotgun I have to get fairly close. I walk slow & stop often. makes them nervous and try to run. then easy pickings with my 12 gauge with # 4 thru #6 shot depending how I feel that day. with the # 4 it takes one or two beebes. and it's down with very little damage.

Ghost (Lee)

I used to have a place in big bear up that way. I never saw rabbits in the woods more on the edge of the flat lands at the base of hills. I know it's a drive but if you are ever up the way we can hit up los padres not an amazing spot but it always turns out a few a day.

I'd also look for droppings. Some areas I hunt very little droppings, so I dont spend a lot of time there. But when you find a spot where there is a lot of droppings even old droppings its good indication that its a good habit for them.

mangycoyote said:
I'd also look for droppings. Some areas I hunt very little droppings, so I dont spend a lot of time there. But when you find a spot where there is a lot of droppings even old droppings its good indication that its a good habit for them.

Down here in the dez, they leave them little white urine spots too.

If you read all of the posts members have put here in response to your question/post, you will find rabbits.

I hunt them around the 4000 Ft ASL area. The area is populated by grasses when it rains and sage, shrub oak, cactus and other dry terrain vegetation. If you see rabbit droppings, you will eventually find rabbits.

I have hunted them with air rifles, .22 rim fire and shotguns. Walk slow, be alert and look for things that seem out of place (i.e. glossy round eye, patch of fur, ears, shape, etc.). Once you start finding them you'll be surprised how successful you'll be at bagging the bunnies. :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu