Testing Monolithic Munitions Ammo

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Today was the day to test Monolithic Munitions factory (custom) .260 Remington ammunition at the range. The test was done at an indoor range and below are the vitals:

Cartridge: .260 Remington
Ammo: Monolithic Munitions 95 Grain GS Custom lead free - .424 G1 B.C
Rifle: Sako 85 23" barrel 1-8" twist
Scope: Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 Duplex
Chronograph: Magneto Speed

Results:
Chronograph speed was 3357 (this makes sense as the Monolithic test barrel is 24" and their claim is 3400 FPS)
Largest 3 shot group was .786" (or 3/4" @ 100 yards).

I found the ammo to be very well made and the company uses bench rest components. The ammo loaded into the magazine well and also fed smoothly into the chamber. Once fired, the spent brass ejected easily. Bolt lift was fine but you could tell that the ammo is loaded on the hot side. Primers were flat but no other pressure signs were noticeable. Overall, everything went as predicted.

The recoil was evident but not uncomfortable. Let's face it, the .260 is mild anyway.

The group size is amazing considering I was using an 8 power scope. I found it very difficult to get back on target exactly on the cross mark that you basically can't even see at 100 yards. I suspect we would be discussing a 1/2" group size or smaller if I used a higher magnification scope.

Synopsis:

I am totally impressed with Monolithic Munitions ammo. It is bench-rest quality, consistent and exceeds all velocity expectations as claimed by the company. The ballistic long-range performance is spectacular due to the high B.C. bullets and the extreme velocities coupled with excellent accuracy.

The bullets are designed with hunting in mind and I will report the results on game over the next month (heading into the field tomorrow for deer). The current testimony is stellar as these bullets have been used on big game for years. We just haven't had a company load GS until Monolithic Munitions came into the game.

I would definitely recommend you try some of this ammo on your next hunt. Contact Scott at http://monolithicmunitions.com

Looking forward to smashing some game with this top notch ammo!

Attachments

• MM1.jpg
    MM1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • MM2.jpg
    MM2.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 25
  • MMBalistic.jpg
    MMBalistic.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 135
Just got home from a D16 deer hunt today. I used the Monolithic Munitions 95 Grain GS Custom lead free in .260 to dispatch my deer. While not a super long shot, at 203 yards the deer was dumped as if hit by a lightning bolt. Needless to say, I am going to be shooting this load moving forward.

I could not be happier. Monolithic Munitions delivers on their promise - Unbelievably accurate and "Game Smashing Performance"!

Attachments

• NBKbuck1.jpg
    NBKbuck1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu