Texas hill country deer sausage

S-3 Ranch

Aug 16, 2023
This is a 100 lb recipe which fills one of my racks. I prefer 60/40 because I want it to taste like a venison sausage not your average pork sausage.

iD1DazQ.jpg

• 60 lbs of trimmed venison
  • 40 lbs of fatty pork shoulder or trimmings. You want a 20% fat mix when you are done
  • 1-3/4 cups Kosher Salt
  • 1-3/4 cups black pepper
  • 1-3/4 cups onion powder
  • 1-3/4 cups Accent
  • 3/4 cup garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 cup ground allspice
  • 10 teaspoon paprika
  • 10 teaspoon sage
  • 10 teaspoon crushed mustard seed
  • 20 teaspoons cure (Prague powder #1 or Instacure #1 for curing see rule #1 below)
  • 1 gal ice water
Rule #1
  • If you plan to smoke your sausage you must use a Cure. Some folks may try to tell you different, but take my advice and ignore them. First time you experience botulism because you didn't use a cure in your sausage you'll thank me.

• Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it through the medium plate of your meat grinder.

• Take all the spices and cure and mix them well into the 1 gal of ice water.

• Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a couple of minutes to ensure a homogenous mix.

• Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural casings and prepare the links for the smoker. I tie mine in two foot links, making them easier to handle

Now I smoke several thousand pounds of sausage a year, and I'm told it's pretty good stuff, you can adjust you spiciness, by cutting back on the Red and Black peppers, but U like a little bite in mine. Not to take the skin off the roof of your mouth but just a nice little bite.

Last edited:
How long and what temp you smoke at?
Some of the hogs here in TX I’ve gotten lately out of grain field are pretty fatty. Been using that straight to make pork bfast sausage.
Been told they get fatter once the pecans drop and they’re crunching away.

Reactions: Smokey58
That's damn near the recipe I use, except I usually do not do more than total of 20# at a time. I cut way back on cayenne. I try for a 30% fat for summer sausage. Good stuff.

Reactions: S-3 Ranch
How long and what temp you smoke at?
Some of the hogs here in TX I’ve gotten lately out of grain field are pretty fatty. Been using that straight to make pork bfast sausage.
Been told they get fatter once the pecans drop and they’re crunching away.
100* F or less or it weeps , smoke to flavor/ couple hours depending on how dry you want
yeah grain or pecan fed hogs are a much more pleasant thought then thinking about them eating the ass out of a dead cow

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu