That's a first

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
I went to lake poway today to bass fish today. The lake was packed with over 100 fishermen mostly rookies with ridiculously over powered gear. So I decided to find my own spot away from the crowd. so I was flipping a bluegill swimbait to a 6 or 7 lb bass and I get fricken demolished and I think great this is a good fish. Then it starts jumping and I see it's a trout on a swimbait what the heck?!?!?! All in all it was a great day first trout I'd gotten at poway in 6 years I hadn't fished their since then though. I also got a few little bass nothing worth taking pictures of tho

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421615168.787963.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421615168.787963.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421615183.303722.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421615183.303722.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 37
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421615200.477517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421615200.477517.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 36
ilovesprig said:
Congrats.........Should've pinned that trout back on and thru it out..........J/K............ ;)
If only that was legal lol. Since it's not legal swimbaits are the next best thing

D16hunter said:
ilovesprig said:
Congrats.........Should've pinned that trout back on and thru it out..........J/K............ ;)
If only that was legal lol. Since it's not legal swimbaits are the next best thing

You mean to tell me all those years my buddies were throwing T-Bars it was illegal........lol!

that's awesome trout are carnivorous too.... LOL years ago when I was in my teens I caught a trout on a cigarette butt up in Montana. Go figure

SurfNHuntSD said:
Thats rad I bet Poway was crowwwded. I heard a lot of the stock died this year before opener but the bites still been good.
They just stocked last week and the bite was terrible way too many people

motorhead said:
that's awesome trout are carnivorous too.... LOL years ago when I was in my teens I caught a trout on a cigarette butt up in Montana. Go figure
smoked trout. Sweet ;)

ilovesprig said:

Option B works pretty good!
Thank You Matt lures! ;)

joshspics081.jpg

sb32.jpg

sb10.jpg

You probably gunna need something heavier than a trout rod tho...

Attachments

• sb10.jpg
    sb10.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sb32.jpg
    sb32.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 0
  • joshspics081.jpg
    joshspics081.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
Nice bass I like Matt lures a lot but I prefer to throw huddlestons and BBZ swimbaits their more in my price range until I actually start to catch swimbait fish lol

I love the dead twitch but its a pain in the butt to chuck that thing all day!! But its a killer on stock days

M_juttner said:
I love the dead twitch but its a pain in the butt to chuck that thing all day!! But its a killer on stock days

Set it at waters edge & walk to the other side of the cove & twitch/ swim it slowly as close to shore as possible, as slow as possible & for as long as possible & I'l be damned if you dont get attention on it!
DONT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF IT & DONT EVER MAKE THE SAME CAST OR RETRIEVE ON THE SAME SPOT MORE THAN ONCE AN HOUR!
Unfortunately, Due to the popularity of social media, Stock days at most southern CA lakes known for big bass & striper have way too much negative pressure from certain fisherman known as trend chasing swimbaiters. Everybody wants to catch giant fish on the big bait but these guys expect the lure to catch the fish instead of learning "how", & just as importantly "when" to use them.
Just Thinking back to the days I caught those fish, none of them shown were caught on or just after a trout plant. I remember because I recall nobody being around to share the moment with & having to set up my camera on a boulder to take the pic myself. All were Mid week, low pressure conditions when the wind was up slightly, usually a week after a trout plant when nobody is around & the fish weren't getting pounded all day. This is a perfect example of how the misuse of social media ruined a good thing. Now look at how many people are out there trying to be "Mr. swimbait". It didn't use to be like this but everybody wants to be famous & don't realize that it comes at a cost.
I love it when all I see is swimbaits flying & nobody catching chit & these guys watch me stick quality bass all day on light line & 2-4" inch lures only to hear the frustration of the big baiters wanting to switch back to the light rod & anxious to run to the store to buy some small lures. :D :D :D

Didnt mean to thread jack you buddy, I'l get it back on track.
Its definitely a surprise to catch a trout on a fairly large swimbait! I've done it twice & Its happened to a friend of mine numerous times on the big bait. I hope that this doesn't turn into the new trend to follow...
swim baiting for trout??? ::)
If mt. Lassen keeps stocking these mutant 8-14 lb brood stock trout, it just might turn into "a thing"!
13lber2.jpg

Attachments

• 13lber2.jpg
    13lber2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu