The 280AI - shooting well

John,

As you're aware, I know little about rifles, reloading for them, or ballistics....Too me, that doesn't look that good at 200 yds (low left)....Is the good because they're all close together and you fine tune from there?

Last edited:
Reactions: BOWUNTR
You nailed it. It now just needs to be adjusted 1.5" up and 1" inch right. Once that is done, you can make eyeball shots at 200 yards.

For the record, I don't take eyeball shots. I am a broadside guy! ;)

Reactions: ilovesprig
I would have chased holes all over that target til I got it right. Keep working at it... you'll get there. Ed F

I’m getting the same groups in my 280 ai with those 155’s just need to get my speed up there too.

Time to take those skills to a PRS match!!!

I’m getting the same groups in my 280 ai with those 155’s just need to get my speed up there too.

That is fantastic. Which 155 Hammer are you using. If you are using the Hunter, you probably won't see those velocities. The Absolutes are the reason I am getting elevated FPS.

What barrel are you shooting?

I’m using absolutes and rl23 I need to mess with a few other powders. I don’t have rl16 on hand but I have a jug of 19 that I may try.

This is a problem. I have the same problem with my 6.5prc that shoots hammers thanks to @JakeSCH

Sometimes its nice to have a gun that "throws a flyer every now and then" when you miss an animal lol

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
I’m using absolutes and rl23 I need to mess with a few other powders. I don’t have rl16 on hand but I have a jug of 19 that I may try.

You should think about a faster burning powder for the Absolutes. It will help with your velocity.

My bad it was the hunters View attachment 58946

Yep, you will certainly gets some velocity with the RL26. What is your velocity and SD with your current load? It looks like you were using RL25.

The vertical stringing is something to look at. Have you shot it at distance?

Last edited:
I just returned from validating my load @600 yards this morning. The rifle is shooting about 2.5" groups at that distance.

I couldn't be more pleased...

No $hit, John!...That's 6 football fields, that's 5 football fields including end zones, well over a quarter of a mile.........:scream:

What poundage is your trigger to hold on a target/animal that far?...Does an Accu-Trigger help?...Can you hold just using sticks (Tri-pod)?..........:blush:

ps....This stuff dazzles me........:clap:

No $hit, John!...That's 6 football fields, that's 5 football fields including end zones, well over a quarter of a mile.........:scream:

What poundage is your trigger to hold on a target/animal that far?...Does an Accu-Trigger help?...Can you hold just using sticks (Tri-pod)?..........:blush:

ps....This stuff dazzles me........:clap:

Haha - thanks Steve. I have a 2lb Jewel trigger. A light trigger does help. Shooting off sticks is tough. I was shooting off of a bi-pod and also validated again off a shooting rest.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu