The adventure starts now... Or should I say ordeal

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
I'm up scouting for what might be the best hunt ever or the worst. Late season archery elk :eek: who's idea was this?

Weather forecast for tomorrow 50mph wind and rain/snow

I'll be updating this with pics and video as I go

Stand by

Good luck Bill..............I'm sure those elk have met their match............... ;)

ps....Leaving for Montana in about 2 hours.....Hope I get that kind of weather.

PLEASE!

Get your head in the game you have it easy with that new RV........

And for me.......if you pass on one the first day that you would take the last day..........well we all know the answer

Good luck and fling some arrows for us

Wind is ripping, no clouds yet 20141101_070440_zpsubxvtlkj.jpg

Well weather was the star today. Saw some elk and even snuck up on this dude, to many people on the unit today. I'm glad my hunts not for another two weeks.

20141101_160127_zpsuzdzuvn_edit_1414900653380_zps7hqd4ndt.jpg

20141101_151339_zpscmu8cetg.jpg

recap from scouting week one!

The bad...... well it was a interesting weekend with nasty wind on sat and snow on Sunday. The gen rifle season opened on Friday so there was a huge number of people in the hills. I did not see a lot of elk! Habitat was good with food all over the place, the animals will be scattered top to bottom. Water is very plentiful so once again no concentrations near food or water.

The good.... The unit has a lot of elk and sign was all over the place. My cameras will give me a good idea of how i am going to hunt this place. If i get some daylight action on the cams i suspect ill be sitting in a tree quite a bit. This area is super easy to get around on and i do not expect a big pack out job to recover a critter if shot.

It feels odd to me to be up in elk country hunting and not have the rut not play a factor. I am approaching them as if they are a mule deer instead of elk. if they start to group up that will change but right now they are not. I hope that the gen season deer guys are as lazy as they looked on opening weekend and since deer numbers sucked they will not be back and the area can relax a bit.

Back at it this weekend for scouting weekend number 2, stand by for game cam pics I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do not think i will bugle, I have watched elk bugle in new Mexico in January but it was random and seemed pointless. They are not rutting at all this late in the year and with the kind of pressure and random calling that casual hunters use here it wont work.

I am going to try some cow calling this weekend. I have never elk hunted a place like this where they are around so many people all year long. This place is just a mess of people and elk and i am guessing the hand held cow calls ( hoochi mama ) gets used way way to much. I can see the elk just fearing any sounds at all. I have been using the carlton ( used to be HS ) 2.5 reed call for 15 years and can make just about any sound a elk can make so ill see if it works.

skipping out of work now and heading back up to scout :)..........stand by for game cam pics

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu