The difference between Hunting Waders and Fishing Waders

alex ramsey

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sure that this has been brought up but I couldn't find it.

So i'm looking to get some waders that can double over for both fishing and duck hunting.

Personally I can handle the cold better than the heat, so i'm wondering how fishing waders hold up duck hunting. Let me know your thoughts and perspectives on using one for both. I also am thinking that fishing I may not need waders as much because I can go in with swim trunks on as well and shoes and wade in.

Let me know your opinions for a new duck hunter and someone who doesn't fish much but I'm getting out to do more now as well.

I've used my Cabela's neoprene duck hunting waders for fishing too. Depends what type of fishing you're doing. High Sierra cold stream fly fishing requires warmer waders with a well-treaded boot for traction. I brought mine to Denmark twice to fish the North Sea for sea trout. The warmer you are the longer you can fish. Eventually I'll get hip waders for the streams but just don't go enough to need them yet. Cheers.

Reactions: alex ramsey
Breathables are the way to go. You can stay dry when you walk to an area, put out decoys etc. You control how warm you are by the base layer and other layers you put on. Camo hunting waders that are the Roger's or Academy store brands are a good value. Most hunting waders are bootfoot which I greatly prefer but stocking feet work if you don't mind dealing with mucky boots and rinsing each time. Camo is not a necessity but it doesn't hurt and the fish won't care.

If you look in either the Gear or Waterfowl subforum and search for "waders" there were a couple really good threads awhile back about breathable vs neoprene waders. Bottom line: breathable will get er done out here in SoCal.

Bottom line: breathable will get er done out here in SoCal.

They get it done in CO too and our temps get quite a bit cooler.

As Mud Pigeon mentioned. No reason to go with neoprene anymore. Base layer technology has advanced so much that layering I so much more effective.

If you look at all the top fly fishing guides fishing frigid rivers for hours on end... all breathables nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Used breathables today that I got from Academy last year.....Used them all season and usually only put them on only when I get to the blind.....This morning they leaked in the left leg.....Not real bad, but bad enough that my sock was pretty damp/wet.....They didn't leak when I put them away.....Maybe something rubed on the way to Montana.

I had bought some Flex Seal and used them on a pair of Cabela breathables this summer.....No leakage.....These will get the same treatment and we'll see what happens next week.

Neoprene have their place (they last longer & better for fishing IMO), but for comfort and flexibility while hunting.....Breathables hands down.....2 cents

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu