The use of scents or lack of

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
Do you use scents to attract game or try & cover up your smell with some type of spray?

I've tried using scents that you spray into the air on a few different animals with no luck at all. If you think about it, it makes sense why it wouldn't work. You spray whatever it is in the air & the wind will carry the smell for "X" amount of distance. Well that smell is going down wind from you. So your body Odor, the smell from your clothes being washed in lavender laundry detergent, is all going down wind with that Big game attractant. So that leads to the next Q:
Do you use cover up scents?
I've tried a few different brands a few years back with no noticeable help. The only thing I noticed while using cover up scent sprays, is the gnats and fly's love me a lot more. The only thing I do use is Dead Down Wind Laundry detergent. It does a great job on getting that lavender smell out of my hunting clothes that my wife loves putting on them.

Last edited:
I think I will try some this year. will post results after season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're all BS......They have even been taken to court over false claims......If you're not using the wind to your advantage, then I think they will smell you......Period!

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if you douse yourself in doe piss while wearing head to toe scent blocker. They've evolved over millenia to smell predators aka you and me. Using thermals to your advantage is key over all else.

It's all hog wash......swirling wind is our biggest enemy

Maybe during the rut hang a smelly tarsal from your hat......

It's all hog wash......swirling wind is our biggest enemy

Maybe during the rut hang a smelly tarsal from your hat......

I hate that swirling wind in the washes down in my zone. been busted a few times because of wind change.

I hunt near cattle. I bring a cow patty with me to my stand. I hunt in a thick ravine between two ridges. The wind swirls all day. I put the patty on the bottom of my stand and I see 10 deer per sit in my stand. I do use scent away gold. I think it's awesome. I also wash clothing in a lot of baking soda. I hardly ever get busted. It is always smart to play the wind though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt near cattle. I bring a cow patty with me to my stand. I hunt in a thick ravine between two ridges. The wind swirls all day. I put the patty on the bottom of my stand and I see 10 deer per sit in my stand. I do use scent away gold. I think it's awesome. I also wash clothing in a lot of baking soda. I hardly ever get busted. It is always smart to play the wind though.

...and a tree stand helps. I set up on the ground when I hunt out here. If the wind is steady, I don't get busted till the animal is dead downwind. But this weekend the swirling breeze busted me at least three times. Elevation would have helped in that light breeze.

I use scent killer ,cloths , body , hair . Always be aware of the wind . Tink's works , had bucks make scrapes and rubs near my blind site . Two bucks had a fight there , and I watched for a hour . Bucks came every day to check it out . My last 5 or so hunts this season , I noticed the bucks after the doe's , Its kind of early for that !

It's funny for years , i used blue jeans, and flannel shirts. Killed a lot. I look back at what I did.one was shower with no scent. You know not use the good smelly stuff. And I was always perched up high above the deer trails. With just my head above natural blinds. Like rocks and dead trees. So on. The other was I never moved much. I would sit still for hours. And would have the wind in my face. My vision was exceptional in those days. I had some thing like 20/10. I mostly spotted my deer by eye. Even tho I was using 10 x 50 binos.

I tried body scent killer. And it seemed to work. I have had deer walk right by. Usually got busted by me making noise trying to setup for the shot. Happens because you start getting older. So more ibuprofen these days. So I think it works some what. Until one starts to sweat. I now bath in baking soda, and wash my clothes with it seems to work just as well. Also use what ever is a round. Like sage, pine or oak. Cow patties l think work great.

Last edited:
Reactions: fraginator

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu