Think what you thought you saw

kingwouldbe

Apr 29, 2013
So Cal.
It's been a tough year here in southern California, I have not seen a lot of bucks, the ones I have seen are on the thin side.

The good news is, you get to keep looking until you find them. Finding bucks is not the hard part..... finding BIG BUCKS is the hard part. Earlier this season I found a bruiser 4x2, he's about 22-23 wide, with deep forks and decent mass, I wrote in my hunting journal " DO NOT KILL THIS BUCK ' he is a 4x2, so he will only score as a forky, I'm hoping next year he will go 4x4 then he would be a stroker buck.

After not seeing any big bucks, I thought about going to the 4x2 area and killing him, then I could not find him..... I'm glad though, he is a old worrier, if I find him next year & he is the same I might try & kill him, I think he would go around a 110"-115" as a fork.

The difference between this year & last year is huge, I was seeing so many bucks I actually got to greedy trying to shoot a bigger buck then my first one. This year, very few bucks and not any big ones yet.....

Big bucks are like gold, they are where you find them.... just like gold, their are some characteristics that will put you in the right terrain.

Big bucks like to live a secret life, they don't like the daylight, they don't like to be bumped, they don't like other deer, except in the rutt they forget most of that. sometimes they will have a sidekick to help with detection of things. Big bucks like steep, rough and thick terrain.

Attachments

• IM000051.JPG
    IM000051.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IM000077.JPG
    IM000077.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IM000084.JPG
    IM000084.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 227
My son & I went to one of these spots, set up a few game cameras over water and some trails, a few bucks used the trail, but only does would drink.

Put up a stand and kept watching it until a nice 3x3 came there, I told Caleb to hunt it the next day he had off, he text me he has a 4x3 & 3x3 coming to him. A little later he text me, he shot the 4x3 slight quartering at him. I tell him do not go after it, let the arrow kill him, I will get there just before dark to help him look.

It had only been about 3 1/2 hours which is not enough time to kill a buck gut shot, I thought lets just look close by to see how good the sign is, if he is not right there back out & come back the next day, caleb points me to the trail he took out, we cant find anything, just some tracks, that's it.

I ask him to tell me about the shot & where he thinks he hit him and he cant explain what he saw, he tells me the arrow was not farther back than mid body, and the arrow was hanging down as he ran with the fletching sticking straight up, but he is not sure about anything he saw.

We look for blood but can not find one drop, I tell him lets back out, I tell him one of two things happened, the shot is not what you think it was, or we are on the wrong tail. I tell him I don't think you hit him good as he was sure we where on the right trail. I tell him, get in the stand before light to see if anything comes in, then go look for him.

At around 7:30 I get a text your not going to believe this he's coming in, I can see the hit, it went in & out he's not hurt at all, I text back, broadside or quartering away shot only.

Then a few minutes later I get a call, "smoked him" I can see blood from my tree, I tell him I'm on my way.

As we follow a blind mans blood trail, he only went about 50 yards. As we are standing over him I can see the relief all over his face, he tells me he could not sleep last night, kept running what had happened through his head.

His first shot hit on the opposite side he shot at..... the buck jumped the string and ducked the arrow, it went just under the skin at the top of his right shoulder exiting about 4-5 " below that, hitting the ground and keeping the arrow in him, as he ran Caleb saw it, but could not believe his eyes as he shot him on his left side.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 228
That was a great read, super informative for us that dont ever even see big bucks. The story had three lessons, the shot you think you made never is as you remember, never give up and big bucks are not 5 minutes from the road (typically). Thanks for Sharing your story and so.e good lessons!

How rare or even unheard of that a wounded buck gives the same bow hunter in the same tree a second chance. I would say that you and that buck were destined for each other. Congrats on a getting such nice buck.

Awesome story!
I had also wounded a buck this year second weekend of A-zone archery after looking for 2 days I couldn't find him.. No guts on the arrow or anything.. Well any ways, 2nd weekend of rifle season I kill a buck very very similar to the buck I wounded, only a couple hills over from the one I wounded. When we got up the the buck he had razor like cut on his belly, around the area me and my partner had thought I had hit the buck with my bow.
Not 100% sure if it's the same buck or not... But I'm pretty sure..

Congrats to you guys! And awesome buck!

What an awesome account of an amazing adventure David. Tell Caleb SCH is stoked for him!

Awesome story. Congrats on the nice buck. Can't wait to hunt with my son and be able to share a blood trail.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu