Time to get your Gaiters on!

M

msteele711

Time to get the Gaiters on...

Saw THIS on Cowles Mountain day before yesterday in the late afternoon.

snake_zpswrrgqzvq.gif

My wife almost stepped on it..watch out! She acted like George Castanza at 1:25 of this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnfbhdELQLA

Attachments

• snake_zpswrrgqzvq.gif
    snake_zpswrrgqzvq.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 1
Funny, but not funny........Haven't seen one yet, but I know they're there..........Noticed that Turner's sells gaiters......Even though I have snake boots, the gaiters many times are more comfortable.

Guy in front of us was walking at a fast pace and did not notice it. He walked right by it. It was coiled up and just sitting there. My wife missed stepping on it by 4 inches. That would have been bad. I first noticed her jumping 5 feet in the opposite direction. I gave it some space, tossed some small rocks and had to wait for it to move into the brush.

Will be bringing my telescope shooting/walking stick in my pack from now on.

Eyes open now..that got the blood boiling.

It looks like a Red Diamond from the pic. If so, I hate rattlesnakes, but those are bad ass.

It was in no hurry to move on. For a while there it went towards me. After a couple small rocks it got the message. That was an eye opener.

I was intentionally hiking a bit late afternoon to catch some hiking in the heat. We were the first few people on the trail for the afternoon so we caught him off guard. Wife said she heard a rattle, I did not so we caught him kicking back.

Would have been bad had we stepped on him. Need to read up on what actions to take following a snake bite.

msteele711 said:
It was in no hurry to move on. For a while there it went towards me. After a couple small rocks it got the message. That was an eye opener.

I was intentionally hiking a bit late afternoon to catch some hiking in the heat. We were the first few people on the trail for the afternoon so we caught him off guard. Wife said she heard a rattle, I did not so we caught him kicking back.

Would have been bad had we stepped on him. Need to read up on what actions to take following a snake bite.

Do you have one of those snake plunger kits? Good investment for out here... even if it's just an "aid" till you can get medical attention. I almost got nabbed in Ramona a few years back. Dropped down from a rock about 3 feet or so and he was sitting under a rock overhang and didn't see him. That rattle was like machine gun fire... scared the crap out of me. Flipped around to see him making his way towards me. Pointed my shotgun at his face with turkey loads with rocks all over and a foot between his face and my boom stick. Good thing SoCalRebelHunter had enough wits to calmly tell me "don't shoot man... he'll go away". Would've eaten some of that shot back in ma face. Bought gaiters the next week.

yes, I need to get one of those plunger things but only after I figure out how to use it properly (no cutting, etc). I was thinking of that when I mentioned to everyone to start thinking about what happens in the unlikely event someone does get bit.

That Snake came at me also...like I had to go back down the trail. Had a water bottle and almost caught myself trying to pour water on it...LOL

Couple rocks and some calm nerves took care of it, tossed a couple small rocks at him and he went on his way. Could have put him down but no need, too many rats out there :)

Wonder if them gaiters will look funny with shorts on...

Just a reminder about the red westerns, they are now a protected species because of the decline in population. You cannot kill or capture them for any reason. Also they are generally one of the more docile species and usually it takes a lot to get them agitated. I agree with msteele711 no need to kill them just let them go, they're here for a reason.

Good info. They don't call him snakecharmer for nothin! ill have to look into species recognition.

They sure are purdy. I see probably 15-20 a year around my neck of the woods.
I got this guy to pose for a few pics. I rode a 70 right past him & didnt even see him till my buddy called me back 7 min later.
he stood about 10" & was roughly 3 1/2 ft.
He would make a pretty cool wrap on a bow or fishing pole..... just sayin. ;D
my%20awesome%20pictures%20246_zpscywct8zp.jpg

I walked into the bedroom on this lovely couple last day of deer season a few years back.
She was so purple in person but didnt come out well in the pic.
matingrattlers.jpg

About the snake bite/ bug bite kits, most of em I've seen are garbage or cost allot! Especially the one in the yellow box that they sell at wal-mart. I bought & returned 3 that had no suction because they all were split at the nipple of the sirenge. I gave up on looking for a decent one. I carry a razor in my pack & would probably use my camel bak hose for suction by mouth to extract any venom & maybe after, wrap the hose around my leg to keep the poison from traveling... not sure if this would be a good thing or not but is something that has crossed my mind several times.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON ANY QUALITY KITS ANYONE???
Dont buy this one! it blows!
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcX14oBRVxq8AJy6JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIybzI2aGJkBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMyN2EyMWVkMzYwZTQzODUxYTMyZDA5MDc5NDMxNTE4YgRncG9zAzYEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dsnake%2Bbite%2Bkits%26fr%3Dsfp%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D6&w=400&h=343&imgurl=shop.life-assist.com%2FCatalogImages%2FFullSize%2F05_kts2new.jpg&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.life-assist.com%2FCatalogItemDetail.aspx%3FIGRN%3D385&size=21.6KB&name=the+extractor+%3Cb%3Esnake%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Ebite%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Ekit%3C%2Fb%3E+is+for+bee+%3Cb%3Esnake%3C%2Fb%3E+and+other+%3Cb%3Ebites%3C%2Fb%3E+the+...&p=snake+bite+kits&oid=27a21ed360e43851a32d09079431518b&fr2=piv-web&fr=sfp&tt=the+extractor+%3Cb%3Esnake%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Ebite%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Ekit%3C%2Fb%3E+is+for+bee+%3Cb%3Esnake%3C%2Fb%3E+and+other+%3Cb%3Ebites%3C%2Fb%3E+the+...&b=0&ni=21&no=6&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11sajt43i&sigb=133vce6nj&sigi=11qddtnqe&sigt=1380c0k4r&sign=1380c0k4r&.crumb=24H.zwoYKpo&fr=sfp&fr2=piv-web

Attachments

• my%20awesome%20pictures%20246_zpscywct8zp.jpg
    my%20awesome%20pictures%20246_zpscywct8zp.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
  • matingrattlers.jpg
    matingrattlers.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 0
The reason they do not sell good kits any more is that it is not recommended or practiced. By the time you start to get a kit out the venom has already spread. Yes even withen seconds. More people got bad infections from the cutting then any help of getting that little venom you may be able to get out. So learn proper tie off points keep calm so your heart rate stays low and get to a doc. Also if at all possible get a good look at the snake and ID it, I not kill it and bring it with to th er. I had said it in another topic. We should get an advanced field medical traing seminar going for so cal forums? Any takers?

Do color blind folks get an exemption for the red buzz worms???? :)

msteele711 said:
Time to get the Gaiters on...

Saw THIS on Cowles Mountain day before yesterday in the late afternoon.

snake_zpswrrgqzvq.gif

My wife almost stepped on it..watch out! She acted like George Castanza at 1:25 of this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnfbhdELQLA

I was up there the Friday before you. A couple people on the switchback ahead of me were looking at a snake. I went up there, and sure enough, the snake could have been the twin of the one you saw! It was slowly making its way off the trail, not bothering anybody, so I gave it a wide berth and continued. It was a couple switchbacks from the top.

Attachments

• snake_zpswrrgqzvq.gif
    snake_zpswrrgqzvq.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
This was also taken at Cowles a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 21
Got a big stick and moved it off the trail. Everyone was stopped and wouldn't go by so we had a traffic jam.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu