Totally Green Never Hunted Newb

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
Hey Everybody,
I'm Steve, I bought a gun, I'm looking to try out hunting.

I enjoyed the shooting I did when i was in the military and was good at it. I love the outdoors (am an avid dirt bike rider of all capacities), and I think I would really enjoy hunting.

My latest outdoor excursion consisted of hiking the 30-40 some odd miles over 5 days over xmas and new years of the Grand Canyon. During the trip, a buddy of mine is an avid hunter and we saw a lot of wild life. It got me intrigued.

I bought a Remington 700 ADL in .243 Caliber and I plan on hunting boar (lol if any exist in socal), non-game animals like coyote/bobcat, and Deer.

I've been reading like hell up on fish & wildlife stuff. My Rifle is still being shipped to Socal Guns which then will hold it for 10 days. Once i go have some fun at the range and get it sighted in with the scope it comes with (I'm told the scope is garbage), I'll take a hunter education course and buy hog & bobcat tags.

I'm planning on just starting conditioning in such on nice weekend hikes in cleveland national forest locations and if I spot some non-game or boar (pretty sure boar are all gone), I'll plan on taking them.

I have a friend planning a private land hog-hunt in tx around September and I plan to go there.

Have another friend who volunteered to take me deer hunting in D19 and go pre scouting and then plan to hunt for some deer.

I recently started a new job and since I'm still going through training/being spun up before I begin running the show, I've had time to do a lot of reading :)

Here's a link to the rifle/combo kit I bought
https://www.google.com/search?q=cabellas+remington+700+ADL+with+scope&oq=cabellas&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59.2249j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As a brand new hunter, aside from tags, an orange hat, and a nice day pack (I have the pack), and some good hiking boots (have those), what should I be looking at gear wise here in Socal?

Face to the Name
999970_10208827730033122_8542380417562238981_n.jpg

Welcome to SCH.
The answer to your question would be Binos, buy the very best you can afford and maybe stretch that a little. Most people end up wanting to or having to upgrade because they realize they should have bought something with better glass.

Oh yeah also. I see maps and I'm somewhat familiar with the pine valley and coral canyon areas from dirt riding.

Where the fuck do you park to go hunting in Cleveland national? I know newbies rule is don't ask. But I'm looking for non-game. Not high profile bucks and whatever

Lungpopper said:
Welcome to SCH.
The answer to your question would be Binos, buy the very best you can afford and maybe stretch that a little. Most people end up wanting to or having to upgrade because they realize they should have bought something with better glass.

I have a nice monocular from REI. Super nice bino's wil come down the line, but I think this will do for now. Good advice!

Steve,

Welcome to SCH......I'll be honest......A monocular won't cut it......Try Vortex glass. Crossfires are around a $150.00. May get them for less, if you shop around.

Sounds like you've got a nice rifle coming.....A .243 is more than enough gun for any of our big game or varmints down here in SoCal.....You may want to upgrade your Bushnell scope at some point & time, but for now, it's plenty good enough.

A couple more things that may help you out deer hunting....A good knife (Havalon or Outdoor Edge), snake gaiters, Onx Maps, good headlamp, and maybe shooting sticks.

Macsteve said:
Lungpopper said:
Welcome to SCH.

I have a nice monocular from REI. Super nice bino's wil come down the line, but I think this will do for now. Good advice!

When you start hunting you will spend a lot of time looking through the glass. I will sit and glass for hours at a time.
The thing about the monocular is that it wont take very long for your (eye) eyes to tire. When you get a chance go out and try looking through it for a solid 5 minutes. If you have access to some binos, do the same. You will see the difference.

ilovesprig said:
Steve,

Welcome to SCH......I'll be honest......A monocular won't cut it......Try Vortex glass. Crossfires are around a $150.00. May get them for less, if you shop around.

Sounds like you've got a nice rifle coming.....A .243 is more than enough gun for any of our big game or varmints down here in SoCal.....You may want to upgrade your Bushnell scope at some point & time, but for now, it's plenty good enough.

A couple more things that may help you out deer hunting....A good knife (Havalon or Outdoor Edge), snake gaiters, Onx Maps, good headlamp, and maybe shooting sticks.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I'd like to upgrade the scope right away, but because I'm starting at ground zero I'll just have to
Hold off. On my immediate list is shooting stick that converts into a walking stick, knife, maps. They say don't listen to advice til you hear it twice. I'll add a pair of Bino's to my wish list.

Reactions: gwallis
Ditch the monocular and spend more money on binos than you did on your rifle. It is the key to your success. If you follow any advice at all, get great binos.

Personally, I would upgrade the scope after you got some better glass.....The Savage .243 & Bushnell scope combo that my daughter and my future son-in-laws Savage .270 with Bushnell scope seem to work just fine.....wink.gif

Attachments

• IMG_9241.JPG
    IMG_9241.JPG
    808.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 24
Welcome. Nice to see another 243win user. Get some good Binos like stated, do lots of scouting and think about a shot gun to open many doors in so cal. Ask questions and make friends.

ilovesprig said:
Personally, I would upgrade the scope after you got some better glass.....The Savage .243 & Bushnell scope combo that my daughter and my future son-in-laws Savage .270 with Bushnell scope seem to work just fine.....wink.gif

Fair enough. Can I ask her? ;)

GSPman said:
Welcome. Nice to see another 243win user. Get some good Binos like stated, do lots of scouting and think about a shot gun to open many doors in so cal. Ask questions and make friends.

Thanks! Yeah I did it as an all around gun. I'll be ranging it more then hunting, especially at the beginning and 243 ammo seemed cheaper.

I guess bino's are on the priority list now

Most guides want a 270 or bigger for hogs.....243 is a great caliber for deer & yotes.

Go to BPS for your hunter safety class get signed up ASAP deer season is around the corner......luckily D19 won't sell out

Binos I like 10's 8's are just too weak for the west

MJB said:
Most guides want a 270 or bigger for hogs.....243 is a great caliber for deer & yotes.

Go to BPS for your hunter safety class get signed up ASAP deer season is around the corner......luckily D19 won't sell out

Binos I like 10's 8's are just too weak for the west

yeah Hogs are some fat bastards. Looking at the TX ones, most allow 243. But I know its a "bottom line" for a meaty big one. Headshot? lol.

I actually just signed me and the girlfriend up for hunter safety in Escondido July 9th

Macsteve said:
Oh yeah also. I see maps and I'm somewhat familiar with the pine valley and coral canyon areas from dirt riding.

Where the freak do you park to go hunting in Cleveland national? I know newbies rule is don't ask. But I'm looking for non-game. Not high profile bucks and whatever

To answer your question about parking, you can park in any fee or developed area with an adventure pass from one of the forest or park agencies. I have an Annual pass that allows me to go anywhere and an adventure pass with the state. If you want to go off on your own contact the Cleveland National Forrest to find your district and request a dispersed/remote camping permit. I get one every weekend whether I go out or not. The Pine valley and Corral Canyon is in the Descanso District with a station in Alpine. As long as you are on a trail or road within park grounds you can park and keep your pass posted in the window. If you have any other questions you can PM me.

Macsteve said:
Hey Everybody,
I'm Steve, I bought a gun, I'm looking to try out hunting.

I enjoyed the shooting I did when i was in the military and was good at it. I love the outdoors (am an avid dirt bike rider of all capacities), and I think I would really enjoy hunting.

My latest outdoor excursion consisted of hiking the 30-40 some odd miles over 5 days over xmas and new years of the Grand Canyon. During the trip, a buddy of mine is an avid hunter and we saw a lot of wild life. It got me intrigued.

I bought a Remington 700 ADL in .243 Caliber and I plan on hunting boar (lol if any exist in socal), non-game animals like coyote/bobcat, and Deer.

I've been reading like hell up on fish & wildlife stuff. My Rifle is still being shipped to Socal Guns which then will hold it for 10 days. Once i go have some fun at the range and get it sighted in with the scope it comes with (I'm told the scope is garbage), I'll take a hunter education course and buy hog & bobcat tags.

I'm planning on just starting conditioning in such on nice weekend hikes in cleveland national forest locations and if I spot some non-game or boar (pretty sure boar are all gone), I'll plan on taking them.

I have a friend planning a private land hog-hunt in tx around September and I plan to go there.

Have another friend who volunteered to take me deer hunting in D19 and go pre scouting and then plan to hunt for some deer.

I recently started a new job and since I'm still going through training/being spun up before I begin running the show, I've had time to do a lot of reading :)

Here's a link to the rifle/combo kit I bought
https://www.google.com/search?q=cabellas+remington+700+ADL+with+scope&oq=cabellas&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59.2249j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As a brand new hunter, aside from tags, an orange hat, and a nice day pack (I have the pack), and some good hiking boots (have those), what should I be looking at gear wise here in Socal?

Face to the Name
999970_10208827730033122_8542380417562238981_n.jpg

Invest in sharp knives and make sure you have a game bag or two, its never and easy task hauling animals out of the back country. Field dressing and quartering in the field are necessary! If you want to find a good all around hunting guide pick up this: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Hunting-Butchering-Cooking/dp/081299406X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466789269&sr=1-1&keywords=steven+rinella

This is damn near the end all be all for hunting!

larnett22 said:
Macsteve said:

Where the freak do you park to go hunting in Cleveland national? I know newbies rule is don't ask. But I'm looking for non-game. Not high profile bucks and whatever

To answer your question about parking, you can park in any fee or developed area with an adventure pass from one of the forest or park agencies. I have an Annual pass that allows me to go anywhere and an adventure pass with the state. If you want to go off on your own contact the Cleveland National Forrest to find your district and request a dispersed/remote camping permit. I get one every weekend whether I go out or not. The Pine valley and Corral Canyon is in the Descanso District with a station in Alpine. As long as you are on a trail or road within park grounds you can park and keep your pass posted in the window. If you have any other questions you can PM me.

That makes sense. I imagine you don't want to park in the staging area's around all the OHV spots and whatnot because all the vehicles likely scare animals pretty far away.

I appreciate the Book suggestion! I'll check it out.

I actually just signed me and the girlfriend up for hunter safety in Escondido July 9th
[/quote]

Bummer......She's getting married July 10th........lol

ilovesprig said:
Bummer......She's getting married July 10th........lol

ha, all in jest anyway. Congrats to her; sounds like Venison is being served!

the overwhelming amount of suggestions on Binoculars got to me, picked these up on CL for a great deal. Bushnell 10*50

13537760_10210286662745528_8185737171936356843_n.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu