Totally Green Never Hunted Newb

Macsteve said:
ilovesprig said:
I actually just signed me and the girlfriend up for hunter safety in Escondido July 9th

Bummer......She's getting married July 10th........lol

ha, all in jest anyway. Congrats to her; sounds like Venison is being served!

the overwhelming amount of suggestions on Binoculars got to me, picked these up on CL for a great deal. Bushnell 10*50

13537760_10210286662745528_8185737171936356843_n.jpg

[/quote]

I have a pair of those in the bone collector edition.....dont let anyone tell you they aren't good enough....I used them in the AZ high desert and HAD NO ISSUE spotting game. Of coures they are no Leupolds or Vortex or w/e but for a beginner those are fine, make sure when glassing you be patient. THAT IS THE TRUE KEY TO SEEING GAME. That and look hard haha.

larnett22 said:
I have a pair of those in the bone collector edition.....dont let anyone tell you they aren't good enough....I used them in the AZ high desert and HAD NO ISSUE spotting game. Of coures they are no Leupolds or Vortex or w/e but for a beginner those are fine, make sure when glassing you be patient. THAT IS THE TRUE KEY TO SEEING GAME. That and look hard haha.

Most definitely. Yeah I'm sure there are some super fancy stuff, but I'm at such a new level, these will be fine.

Macsteve said:
larnett22 said:

Most definitely. Yeah I'm sure there are some super fancy stuff, but I'm at such a new level, these will be fine.
If you want you can buy a mount and tripod for those so your arms dont get tired holding em up, I just get to the tallest hill in the area drop my pack lay over it and glass in one 180 field of view for a bit then the next 180. Use the terrain, Google earth is an awesome tool to scout beforehand and oneXmaps has an awesome app you can do a 7 day trial for California.

larnett22 said:
Macsteve said:
larnett22 said:

If you want you can buy a mount and tripod for those so your arms dont get tired holding em up, I just get to the tallest hill in the area drop my pack lay over it and glass in one 180 field of view for a bit then the next 180. Use the terrain, Google earth is an awesome tool to scout beforehand and oneXmaps has an awesome app you can do a 7 day trial for California.

I'm going to hold off on the tripod deal for a little bit. My arms can suck it up. I am going to buy a more rigorous case for carrying them though so they don't get busted up.

I've heard the whole OneXMaps thing. I need to look into it.

Macsteve said:
larnett22 said:
Macsteve said:
larnett22 said:

I'm going to hold off on the tripod deal for a little bit. My arms can suck it up. I am going to buy a more rigorous case for carrying them though so they don't get busted up.

I've heard the whole OneXMaps thing. I need to look into it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU67T44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KP473Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Step in the right direction.......10x50's are a little tougher to hold up for any length of time, but OK, if your not going long distances or have stable positioning.....Try and get yourself some 10x42's and a good harness.

That should be fine just use adjustable shooting sticks and put your binos on top of them as a monopod. The monopod I find gives you better flow, easier to work with shifting positions and uneven ground.

What part of CNF are you? If around maple springs/ Silverado area I can scout with you.
As for glassing goes, these guys reccomendations are on point. For example, if you are using your arms to steady the binos, they will shake some. That won't matter that much for a while but then your eyes get tired and shoulder fatigued and will cause you to rush your viewing and results in poor glassing.
Anyways, I'm new also but have hunted CNF for past 3 years.

xjon said:
What part of CNF are you? If around maple springs/ Silverado area I can scout with you.
As for glassing goes, these guys reccomendations are on point. For example, if you are using your arms to steady the binos, they will shake some. That won't matter that much for a while but then your eyes get tired and shoulder fatigued and will cause you to rush your viewing and results in poor glassing.
Anyways, I'm new also but have hunted CNF for past 3 years.

I live in Spring Valley so CNF isn't far all together. 30-1 hour tops

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu