Tree stands

G

Goyaałé

So i've seen some tree stands out there. What is the distance you would want be tween stands. Seen some about 200yrds apart. Seen some 500yrds apart. I don't have a stand yet. One of the spots i was sitting at had a stand sitting about 100yrds from it. I think this person is in the stand on weekends. Since i haven't seen anyone in it during the week. Since i didn't have a tree stand up that person didnt know anyone was hunting that spot. I am saving for a tree stand for next year. Just want to know what is the unwritten rule with stands?

since it is all public land no one owns a spot. if no one is there then it not issue hunt the area.
just not cool to sit in their stand. however if some one was there before you arrive, it is courtesy to give way and leave and hunt an other area. deer stands is first come first serve type of deal. but that said there is plenty of great spots out there... it's not cool to hunt a spot that is all ready occupied.
be at least far removed from that area as not to interfere with their hunt.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago about sitting in an unused tree stand and got ripped. (foul language and all) Also, Goyaałé has been on the receiving end of the vitriol on this site as well.
Not as friendly a place as it used to be. IMHO.
I see no worries. yes the answer should have been a polite & constructive response. the mods are supposed to monitor such discussions. the answer should have been like this. No it is not cool to sit in some one else s deer stand, unless you have permission to do so.. I believe it's the sign of times where people are no longer human beings. respect, politeness, constructive advice goes a long ways.

I've been also thinking about a tree stand but for now I just stash myself behind brush "natural blind". It's hard to make a buck follow a path in an open desert , they never take the "exact" same route.

Only once have I ran into a hunter perched on a mesquite tree and he gave me a lil' whistle to let me know he was there. I moved over a few washes out of respect and continued my hunt.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago about sitting in an unused tree stand and got ripped. (foul language and all) Also, Goyaałé has been on the receiving end of the vitriol on this site as well.
Not as friendly a place as it used to be. IMHO.
He didnt ask about sitting in an unused stand . He asked about hunting near someone's stand. Two different subjects. I also have seen many stands around and will hunt near them if not occupied when I got there. I would however not hunt out of someone else stand as they put in the time and work to put it up themselves. I have run into hunters using stands and have been offered to sit in the stand if the are not there.

I think your question is if you can use the treestand if the owner not hunt on midweek??
I never do it, respect other hunters is the way to go, i find many treestands near mine and is normal , I know people with 10 treestands in mount laguna , is normal you find a good spot with 3 or 4 treestands around. In september i hunt just weekends but in the rut time I hunt midweek too .
Is take too much efort install a treestand on the woods, to see some one else used it without permission.

I think your question is if you can use the treestand if the owner not hunt on midweek??
I never do it, respect other hunters is the way to go, i find many treestands near mine and is normal , I know people with 10 treestands in mount laguna , is normal you find a good spot with 3 or 4 treestands around. In september i hunt just weekends but in the rut time I hunt midweek too .
Is take too much efort install a treestand on the woods, to see some one else used it without permission.
no i would never use anything that isnt mine. even if permission was granted. i like using my own stuff. my question is what is proper distance. i was a spot a few weeks before the stand was up, but since i didnt have a stand up. i understand there is no way of knowing i was hunting that spot. what is proper distance between stands?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
He didnt ask about sitting in an unused stand . He asked about hunting near someone's stand. Two different subjects. I also have seen many stands around and will hunt near them if not occupied when I got there. I would however not hunt out of someone else stand as they put in the time and work to put it up themselves. I have run into hunters using stands and have been offered to sit in the stand if the are not there.
yes that is exactly what i was asking. i'm staying away anyway as i feel like its to much pressure. I've seen some close to each other as well. what the rule on that whats proper distance. Not that i would want to be as close as possible just curious as to what is etiquette on space between stands? I personally want to be as far from some ones stand.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
yes that is exactly what i was asking. i'm staying away anyway as i feel like its to much pressure. I've seen some close to each other as well. what the rule on that whats proper distance. Not that i would want to be as close as possible just curious as to what is etiquette on space between stands? I personally want to be as far from some ones stand.
Just feel it out.....Who knows, those stands close to each other might be from the same person. ID say 200-300 yards would be good though. Depends on the area and terrain.

I personally think having a stand any where in the same area as another is bad for both hunters. Its hard enough as it is but now you just put two of everything in the air for deer to pick up scent. Keep in mind in some areas may only beable to take one stand or else you compromise the down wind factor. I know in the area I have my stand set up and where I set it up according to the deer movement and wind , it would suck if some one set up even a few hundred yards away.

I'd keep away. There's plenty of country out there just to set up on top of someone else's stand, even if you're a couple hundred yards off. I'm guessing you're in Laguna...
I agree i want to be away from anyone and everyone. Same forest opposite direction. I have an AO tag. I am really learning anf trying to set my self ul for next year, and not going for a trophy. Don't get me wrong if i get lucky enough to have a big buck wander in my lane i'm taking the shot.

I see no worries. yes the answer should have been a polite & constructive response. the mods are supposed to monitor such discussions. the answer should have been like this. No it is not cool to sit in some one else s deer stand, unless you have permission to do so.. I believe it's the sign of times where people are no longer human beings. respect, politeness, constructive advice goes a long ways.

Lee,

I monitor this forum pretty closely and don't recall anyone being bashed for asking questions.....There are some jokers on here and maybe it was taken the wrong way.....Sorry for any hurt feeling.....Questions and answers are what makes any forum better (pix too....lol)

ps.....I have noticed a few F-bombs lately and those are taken off immediately.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu