Trolling for the first time

unleaded slinger

Aug 7, 2014
I may have sail from Coronado to San Clemente Island for work and figure I'd bring a pole and troll. The trouble is I've only fished from jetties, piers, and the occasional charter boat, but never have I trolled before. Not even sure what species I'd be targeting. Can anyone recommend a setup for me? Would appreciate any advice!

how fast will you be sailing? might be too fast for trolling? I believe the boats here troll somewhere between 4-8 knots.

Well you know, it's worth a shot either way. If you can get a rig, you may as well have a line out.

I have a trolling rig someone gave me, it's super cheap. Short, stout ugly stick with a Penn Senator 113hlw. Make sure the reel has rings to clamp to, that keeps the rod from flying away. (make sure you have something to clamp it with too). Spool it with 60-80 lb mono. Fish something that will fly on top (low drag for that high speed), like a rubber squid-jig or a cedar plug.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Biggest setup I have right now is a 10' Bigwater Ugly Stick with a Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder ABF90... If that doesn't cut it, I may have to pay a visit to my pops for a loaner.

Hot bait has been purple rapala type, troll tuna & YT.......last time out it was all that got bit

Just buy more than one they don't swim right after a hard gaff

unleaded slinger said:
Lol, yes I am! Any experience? What kind of setup did you use?

I retired from ACU-1 in 09 as the LCU/LCM Department Chief....

I personally didn't do any fishing off of the boats but I know for a fact my guys did. I just turned a blind eye to their gear (some skippers are no fun). One of my CM's was an avid fisherman and he usually had some sort of trolling rig and a jig rig on board for the SCI trips. If I was you, I would go talk to the CM and let him know your intentions. He may already have gear on board.

Thanks for the gouge MJB! I have a a 10' Bigwater Ugly Stick with a Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder ABF90. Do you think this would be fine or would you recommend something different?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu