Trolling motor battery ideal for kayaks?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Any recommendations for a lighter deep cycle type battery to be used for a trolling motor on a kayak (in this case, my layout duck boat)? I currently use a big ol' traditional deep cycle which works great in terms of power, but is so dang heavy that it bogs me down and even causes that compartment to flood since we're weighed down. Any stores that would help me find one?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Not specific to your case but I have a SHORAI (I think that's how it's spelled) in my dirtbike. It's like 1/4 the weight of the lead one and works excellent even after quite a few years. Might be worth looking into?

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Any recommendations for a lighter deep cycle type battery to be used for a trolling motor on a kayak (in this case, my layout duck boat)? I currently use a big ol' traditional deep cycle which works great in terms of power, but is so dang heavy that it bogs me down and even causes that compartment to flood since we're weighed down. Any stores that would help me find one?
welcome to the deep rabbit hole , lithium iron phosphate battery, look at amazon , check out my build , recommend 50 AH minimum, I got a 30 ah for my kayak budget only allows. edit the advantage is if the battery is fully discharged it will not kill it, BMS will shut it down, and maintains a constant voltage. and one can get up to 10K recharges depending on the manufacture.

Attachments

• 20211028_180442.jpg
    20211028_180442.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
an other view, you will have to buy a smart LIFEPO battery charger, as not to damage the battery. they have built in BMS system, (circuit board) I have a amp meter , with a shunt to measure the amperage, voltage, watts, and a 50 AMP breaker for my 30 LB Minn Kota trolling motor.

Attachments

• 20211028_180429.jpg
    20211028_180429.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Yak.jpg
    Yak.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 10
One thing to remember with the LI batteries is that they go from hero to zero real quick. They are not like lead where you slowly feel them dying.

One thing to remember with the LI batteries is that they go from hero to zero real quick. They are not like lead where you slowly feel them dying.
good point and correct, but that's what the amp meter is for lol , how much juice left, edit a lead acid battery will be damage if more than 50% discharged, plus they are heavy, lithium is lighter.

I bought a compact deep cycle off the shelf at one of those Batteries + Bulbs retail stores in the OC. I’ve been happy with it.

Jason, here’s the one I use.

Attachments

• 088A3326-F836-4FEA-9984-4285E66C1F92.jpeg
    088A3326-F836-4FEA-9984-4285E66C1F92.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1C7D7C43-8110-4490-8EA0-B9D6C9B6050B.jpeg
    1C7D7C43-8110-4490-8EA0-B9D6C9B6050B.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 7

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu