Turkey calls

Dan86

Sep 21, 2013
I'm looking into getting a hooks custom pot call, what one would you guys recomend getting? What is the biggest difference between slate, crystal, and glass also What are the pros and cons of them? Thanks

I use hooks glass and slate. I need both for many reasons. Hooks calls are incredible sounding in the woods. There will be guys piling on here any minute telling you to try the one they use they'res is the best. And in fact they all work, they all will getter done, but I have not had a slate or glass call that is as good as hooks in the field. And I have a lot of diff brands to com pair too. PM Lumpy on this site he is a world class caller and is a hooks Pro Staffer.

IMO.....It's mostly personal thing.......Kind of like a single reed duck call vs a double reed call.

The double reed would be the slate. It's a little easier to use and has a surface that needs a little less conditioning....And the sound is very hen sounding.

The single reed has characteristics of the crystal/glass......A little harder to use, but has a more ringing/sharper sound. Hence, it has a little more volume for longer distances.

Both calls are good and most every turkey hunter I know carry both. If I was only going to get one, I would get the glass.....There's tons of decent low cost slates out there that sound just fine (think DR-85 duck call)......2 cents

ps.....Remember, the striker makes a big difference in the sound and ease of using the call.....The boys at Hook's will match the striker to your call for you.

Thanks for all the great info, I think I'm going to get the assassin glass. For locator calls do you prefer a owl call or a crow call?

I use both......Owl hoot before daybreak, crow call after sunrise......If I was going to have just one, I would have the crow......You can learn to owl hoot with your mouth quite easily.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu