Turkey hunting in The Hollenbeck canyon wildlife area?

Nathaniel Saludares

Oct 30, 2017
Hi my name is Nate and I will be going out hunting for my first time this weekend. I was looking for some advice on where to go hunting. I live in San Diego and was looking for locals areas to get started in. I wanted to go Turkey/phesant hunting or just go for some Jack rabbits just in case. Are there any other areas I should look at.

I haven't been there for a long time but unless something drastic has changed, I would bet you would be wasting your time going to Hollenbeck for turkey or pheasant. Your best bet for ditch chickens on public land are the planted fields in the Imperial Valley (search CDFW pheasant fields in IV).

Welcome Nate! I would also recommend going to the imperial valley, best area for them. Also, I would advise against hunting turkey in the fall here in SD. We have had some bad recruitment years recently and their numbers are down.

Reactions: ilovesprig
there use to be nothing required, but that may have changed. contact fish & wildlife since that is their domain. a wilderness pass may be required now. but like I said contact them directly.

never know until you scout. one day they are there then next time gone or then they are there..
problem with Hollenbeck, lots of hikers, horse back riding people.

Reactions: TRICER
Hunters are allowed there but the equestrians and hikers make it a pain in the butt. As for turkeys that would be news to me.
LOL yes I have never seen any , but you never know.
By the way last time I contacted DFW only shotguns are allowed there. no rifle.
every one double check with the DFW..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu