Turkey hunting report

ppbets

Nov 12, 2012
I think today was my best day on this season , I wake up early and I was on my spot at 5:40 I start listening some turkeys gobling at 6:15 almost 5 turkeys. So I start calling every 3 min soft 5 or 6 yelps they answerme crazy 1 turkey gobbles more than a 100 times, at 7 i call every 15 or 20 min.
They come from 500 yds to 80 but never close to shoot 20 min later at 7:45 I call again and gobble,gobble,gobble at 20 yds behind a brush a silent tom comes on my right i wait to him to find me I have 2 hen decoys , but he never want to come to a clean area he prefers the brush area.
at 9 stop gobling so I decide to change to another spot, I arrive at 10;30 and make the set up with hens decoys
I call with 5 soft yelps and 5 min later I heard a gobbler at 300 yds away , wait 20 min and he answerme but not move so I call again , I wait for him 1 hour and never answer so I decide to move 60 yds to my right in a open green area, and when I was ready to call he gobbles in the place that I was before , whatttt ??
No kill today but was great day a lot of action . I think hens was more interest right now on nest , so boys was alone and they answer better now.

I think today was my best day on this season , I wake up early and I was on my spot at 5:40 I start listening some turkeys gobling at 6:15 almost 5 turkeys. So I start calling every 3 min soft 5 or 6 yelps they answerme crazy 1 turkey gobbles more than a 100 times, at 7 i call every 15 or 20 min.
They come from 500 yds to 80 but never close to shoot 20 min later at 7:45 I call again and gobble,gobble,gobble at 20 yds behind a brush a silent tom comes on my right i wait to him to find me I have 2 hen decoys , but he never want to come to a clean area he prefers the brush area.
at 9 stop gobling so I decide to change to another spot, I arrive at 10;30 and make the set up with hens decoys
I call with 5 soft yelps and 5 min later I heard a gobbler at 300 yds away , wait 20 min and he answerme but not move so I call again , I wait for him 1 hour and never answer so I decide to move 60 yds to my right in a open green area, and when I was ready to call he gobbles in the place that I was before , whatttt ??
No kill today but was great day a lot of action . I think hens was more interest right now on nest , so boys was alone and they answer better now.
Great story, Turkey Fever

Good time to leave them alone. The prime time is done and with the counts being down bird wise. It would help if we left the biomass alone and give it a chance to recover, I have found hens with newborn nest's into July when the breeding population has been stressed over the last few years. I have one hen just below the kennel that has decided to build a nest. Not a good place but we'll give her a wide berth and let her do her job and hope the predators don't get in on it.

Reactions: nicapopolis
Good write up. Keep after it, it sounds like you are real close to closing the deal. Good luck.

Good luck great write up sounds like an exciting hunt with lots of turkey conversations. My calls always seem to go to voicemail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So saturday I was near to close the deal but for some reason turkey make a half moon around my place he never give a chance to shoot , he walk around at 60 yds for almost 10 min. I have 2 hen decoys so I think he want hens go on his way.

I have another spot with a big tom around with 2 hens so I going to try with a jake or small tom turkey strut , for sure hes the dominant gobbler so the strut maybe make him some jealous.
I need try some diferent thinks.

They answer well 100 times or more in morning before 8 am later they quiet for all day .
and back gobling at afternoon.
Good luck guys I report on friday.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu