Turkey Hunting Tidbits

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
I'm new to San Diego and looking to get into turkey hunting this fall. I do alot of archery. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start looking? I've seen one or two in Lagunas but nothing promising. I know there is a bunch towards Julian but it's almost all private land.

ADVICE, don't hunt the fall turkeys. with the drought SAN DIEGO turkey populations took a hit.
Let them grow up and hunt them in the spring. welcome to SAN DIEGO

Reactions: ilovesprig
X2. Wait for spring, it's much more fun. For me, it's all about hearing toms gobble, seeing them strut, and working them in.. that's what gets me fired up for turkey hunting in the spring season. I usually don't even start scouting until they disperse in Feb-Mar, which is when you'll find them venturing into public lands and you'll have better success. My 2 cents.

Reactions: ilovesprig
X2. Wait for spring, it's much more fun. For me, it's all about hearing toms gobble, seeing them strut, and working them in.. that's what gets me fired up for turkey hunting in the spring season. I usually don't even start scouting until they disperse in Feb-Mar, which is when you'll find them venturing into public lands and you'll have better success. My 2 cents.

Well stated Mark & Jason.....The fact is fall turkey hunting is legal.....But, I do feel we do have to take an active role in saving our turkey population here in San Diego Co.....If we ever lose them, we will never get them back....They are a non native species and very little has been done by DFW to insure their existence here.

Nothing more exciting that a big gobbler strutting in (well, maybe bugling elk....lol).

JW.....Welcome to SCH & San Diego

.007.JPG

find them on private then look for adjacent public land, then get out and look, then look some more.
Cuyamaca and Julian are places just to watch and study their actions, listen to the sounds they make

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Well stated Mark & Jason.....The fact is fall turkey hunting is legal.....But, I do feel we do have to take an active role in saving our turkey population here in San Diego Co.....If we ever lose them, we will never get them back....They are a non native species and very little has been done by DFW to insure their existence here.

Nothing more exciting that a big gobbler strutting in (well, maybe bugling elk....lol).

JW.....Welcome to SCH & San Diego

.View attachment 33558
And that would be a real tragedy. There were no turkey here when I was a young hunter. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu