Turkey Hunting

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Hey friends,

I am looking for some advice on turkey hunting. I have done scouting this year and found areas where birds were roosting but back in January and February but I can not seem to locate them now. What advice do yall have? Also what about mid-morning hunting?

If anyone would ever be willing to help a new turkey hunter, let me shadow, or come along with me to areas I have scouted, I would love it. Trying to get my first one this year.

Historically, turkeys have a winter flock up area and then in the spring the toms join the hens and they disperse...Sounds like you found that winter area...Don't give up on it...Many times toms will go back to those areas to find new hens...Of all the kills I've been on this year, only one has been before 10:00 am....3 have been after 2:00 pm.

Hang with them and good luck.... :blush:

I would try branching out from that spot. Is there a creek nearby? I would follow it up and out in a few different directions.

Also, come to the next NWTF meeting in Poway on the 25th. You don't need to be a member and will learn a ton. It's a great way to network with other hunters as well. Its always the 4th tuesday of every month @ the Hamburger Factory. Starts at 6:30 but most get there closer to 6.

Went into my spot about 9:30 this morning. Accidentally slept alarm.

Was walking slowly, walked up in to Tom’s (couldn’t tell age but both blown up) and a hen feeding and strutting. About 45 yards. Hunting archery and couldn’t shoot that far clearly. So I set up about 59 yards. They never saw me.

Did some purring and couple low yelps. But nothing. Saw them walking over together about 30 minutes later 100+ yards away.

Any advice on getting turkeys that are with hens away? I’ve been moving 150-200 yards every 45 minutes right now since 9:45 this morning. Not seeing any or hearing any.

Went into my spot about 9:30 this morning. Accidentally slept alarm.

Was walking slowly, walked up in to Tom’s (couldn’t tell age but both blown up) and a hen feeding and strutting. About 45 yards. Hunting archery and couldn’t shoot that far clearly. So I set up about 59 yards. They never saw me.

Did some purring and couple low yelps. But nothing. Saw them walking over together about 30 minutes later 100+ yards away.

Any advice on getting turkeys that are with hens away? I’ve been moving 150-200 yards every 45 minutes right now since 9:45 this morning. Not seeing any or hearing any.
If the tom is henned up you won't be able to pull him off what he already has going find one without a hen.

A couple of things...Great work just finding a gobbler... :clap:

1st off, 90% of the time when you call to a lone hen this time a year, with a tom, it's probably a jenny...She does not want the competition from another hen and will go the opposite way of your calling...You did nothing wrong and it happens to everybody...Sounds like you called softly too...If she would have cut you off, then you cut her off...Sometimes a hen will fight off another hen.

2nd thing, unless you're in a bow only area...Ditch the bow for that 1st turkey...45 yds these days, is pretty much a gimme with a shotgun.

3rd thing, if you're hunting public, then this idea is no bueno...Break out a gobble call...Those toms may not want the competition either and they will come looking for a fight.

Good luck

A couple of things...Great work just finding a gobbler... :clap:

1st off, 90% of the time when you call to a lone hen this time a year, with a tom, it's probably a jenny...She does not want the competition from another hen and will go the opposite way of your calling...You did nothing wrong and it happens to everybody...Sounds like you called softly too...If she would have cut you off, then you cut her off...Sometimes a hen will fight off another hen.

2nd thing, unless you're in a bow only area...Ditch the bow for that 1st turkey...45 yds these days, is pretty much a gimme with a shotgun.

3rd thing, if you're hunting public, then this idea is no bueno...Break out a gobble call...Those toms may not want the competition either and they will come looking for a fight.

Good luck
I think God gave us the powwr to make a 12 gauge specifically for the wild turkey

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu