Turkey NOOB

Thedude2016

Apr 8, 2016
Hi everyone

Just wanted a round about general idea of spots (no honey holes) just a good lead on where to scout and hunt turkey near San Diego. Lived in Japan for a long time, been in Temecula for 5 years and would like to take up turkey hunting. Any info, tips, and trick would be greatly appreciated, like I said, I'm just getting started.

Thank you

V/R

Rumjacks

Have you gone out scouting yet, where have you gone? Now is a great time. I would start close to home and really learn/develop areas.

Td2016,

Welcome to SCH...Most anywhere in San Diego east county can and does have turkeys...Starting at the border of Oak Grove/Palomar Mt to near the Mexican border...Your main highways would be, 76, 78, 79, and Int 8...Start early (dark) in the morning and listen for gobbles or hens yelping...The more you scout, the better you'll do.

Once you're in likely turkey areas and you're walking...Look for scat, tracks, & feathers...Turkeys travel a lot every day...So, there's a good chance to put visuals on them too...Have your OnX maps readily available and pin anywhere you see sign, hear them, or see them...Then when you get home, E-Scout and get a better idea of where public is near the areas you've found.

NWTF has monthly meeting in Poway (4th Tuesday of the month) in Poway...Not that far from you & well worth the drive to talk to guys who actually hunt here...Next spring we will have a NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up as well...It's a must go to for every turkey hunter.

ps...We do NOT encourage fall turkey hunting here in San Diego Co...Drought, poor recruitment, and the shooting of hens has put our turkey population in a bad place.

.IMG_1148.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu