Turkey scouting 3/3/24

Bask

Oct 3, 2022
I made a not so wise decision to do some scouting in CNF Sunday morning. Wasn't prepared for the winds/rain/fog. Saw some turkeys flocked up could only make out one male(on account of the fog, easily possible there was more) but it was about 10-12 turkeys total.

Is this a normal flock size? I was expecting them to to have started to break up into smaller groups, or was this one male with 10 hens?

Bonus pic of some Jakes on the side of the road on our way out.

PXL_20240303_190705789.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Roads and fences seem to attract the yardbirds..come on March 30th!!

Reactions: TRICER
I made a not so wise decision to do some scouting in CNF Sunday morning. Wasn't prepared for the winds/rain/fog. Saw some turkeys flocked up could only make out one male(on account of the fog, easily possible there was more) but it was about 10-12 turkeys total.

Is this a normal flock size? I was expecting them to to have started to break up into smaller groups, or was this one male with 10 hens?

Bonus pic of some Jakes on the side of the road on our way out.

View attachment 61403

A flock that size is quite common/normal, especially since dispersal has started...What's not so normal is to see so many jakes with these hens...Usually, a dominant tom (2+ year old) will be with hens...It appears we didn't have a lot of carryover last year...I'm seeing a lot of what you saw with maybe one long with jakes and hens........:rolleyes:

The pair of jakes have been kicked out and are roaming...Good for hunters, not so good for young teenage boys........;)

Lake Sutherland Saturday....Look like 3 or 4 jakes and about 12 hens.........:heart:

IMG_4390.JPG

Anyone going to be at the next NWTF meeting before the season starts? Looking to get some feedback or tips on my calling. Can meet before or afterwards at the the hamburger factory

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu