Which turkey gun

• Stevenson M301 .410

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winchester 1400 2 3/4 in 12 gauge

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DirtHunter

I have a Winchester 1400 12 gauge. I'm thinking of getting a Savage Stevenson M301 turkey gun in .410
Should I buy the Savage Stevenson M301 turkey gun or get a new choke and new shells for the Winchester 1400?

If you say the Winchester, which shells should I get?
Thanks for you input.

IMO...With MAYBE the exception of a youth hunter...There's absolutely no reason to shoot or try to shoot turkeys with a .410...At the moment of truth, would you really want probably the most inferior of all guns (pellet gun excepted) to kill a turkey?...Especially as hard as turkeys are to get in the 1st place.

Winchester 1400 with a plain old full choke and Federal 2 3/4" TSS #9's...Deadly

.https://apexmunition.com/collections/turkey-tss/st-12-12-gauge-2-3-4-2oz-1200-fps/

Last edited:
yes I am
I'm planning to come to the August NWTF meeting if Newsom will let us

Thanks for the links

We'll be having a meeting next week, if allowed (Grrr)...7-21-20...I have a friend that reloads TSS...Might be able to get you some 2 3/4" stuff.

IMO...With MAYBE the exception of a youth hunter...There's absolutely no reason to shoot or try to shoot turkeys with a .410...At the moment of truth, would you really want probably the most inferior of all guns (pellet gun excepted) to kill a turkey?...Especially as hard as turkeys are to get in the 1st place.

Winchester 1400 with a plain old full choke and Federal 2 3/4" TSS #9's...Deadly

.https://apexmunition.com/collections/turkey-tss/st-12-12-gauge-2-3-4-2oz-1200-fps/
Isn’t modified a full choke when shooting steel? I remember you mentioned that in my Ruddy nonsense thread.

We'll be having a meeting next week, if allowed (Grrr)...7-21-20...I have a friend that reloads TSS...Might be able to get you some 2 3/4" stuff.
My wife's birthday is the next day and we are going camping up near Kernville.

I can see if I can get the Apex mailed to my mom in Alabama, or my buddy in Nevada.
The Hevi are discontinued

Isn’t modified a full choke when shooting steel? I remember you mentioned that in my Ruddy nonsense thread.

Yes, it is...And you could shoot Hevi-Shot or TSS thru it...Just the best patterns I've experienced have been with a full choke and even more tightened choke...Remember, the TSS is normally #7 or #9's.

Every gun/choke gives a different pattern...Always best to pattern/shoot...Next years NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up is a good time to see what your throwing.

Back